F series 460 engines feedback

mustangmatt89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently sold my 93 f250 7.3 idi. I had it for 15 years did a mild restoration maybe 10 years ago, new bed sides, fenders, paint etc.. looked nice on the outside but the frame was just about done from rust so I sold it since I also had almost 400k on it.

So I am in the market for another truck which is just a weekend vehicle to do yard work and tow a boat locally a few times a year probably 8k to 9k boat fully loaded with trailer. When I mean locally I mean 1 to 2 miles and a launch and retrieve in the spring and fall.

So I’m looking at trucks with 460s this time.. does anyone have any feedback. What mileage should I avoid and consider too high, etc. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated that people have experience with these motors

My budget is about $10k and looking around online I think I could get a decent shape f250 92 to 97 in that range.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Make sure it's firing on all 8 and do a comp test if at all possible. Not uncommon for a hard-working 460 efi to have a dead hole.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on a compression test. I have seen lots of 460s with bad oil control rings that run but drink lots of oil. Prices are insane these days, if it were me I'd be looking for a single cab without any options as they are the only thing that seem to be remotely reasonable. Depending on the size of the boat and your patience, you might even consider one of the more anemic small block Ford F250s. If you get one with 4WD, you can always use low range and lots of patience to get to the boat ramp. $10K should get you a decent truck, but it would have bought two or three of the same trucks a couple years back.

Tim McKay

Reaction score
What kind of milage can you expect out of a F250 manual 4WD with a 460 and 4.10 rear end?
the IDI Diesel my son has gets around 18mpg if you drive it easy.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
460s like their petrol. My guesstimation would be 12-13 mpg unloaded, towing you will be lucky to touch 10.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the laws are like in MD however here in PA I have a 74 highboy with 429 ( very similar to 460) and it has antique license on it. No annual inspection, no annual license because it's more than 25 years old. If you're looking for a truck to be utilized as a "tool" it might be worth considering one that qualifies as an antique.