Dump bed problem

stever8761

Reaction score
Moving right along!
Bed goes up no problem, but at full extension or close to it, it wont come down cookoo . I recently got a come-along to pull it down about 1' from full extension till it comes down on its own again!

Anyone? Anyone?!

I have a 12' bed with a Crysteel hoist (L50 I think), power up/power down, electric pump, cabel controled selenoid.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Is the cable switching the solenoied properly? We had one that did this and the cable was stretched. When the cable pushed to raise the bed it was fine, but when it was pulled, it was too long.

Also, are you sure your fluid level is correct? Is it temperature related? (problem occurs in the cold weather but seems to work fine when it is warmer)

stever8761

Reaction score
I'm sure the cable is working fine, It has done this consistantly from the time I bought the truck, under all conditions. It does have a leak in one of the hoses so I will check the oil again!

One thing weird - their have been times when the selenoid would get stuck running, I would have to pull the cable back and forth several times before it would stop!

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
does the motor run when trying to come down fluid might be low but I would think it would coast down if nothin else sounds like it could be a problem with the switching valve need more trouble shooting details

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
stever8761 said:
It's a power down unit so it has to pump the fluid the opposite way through the cylinder.

well it don't actually go thru the cylinder but yeah I got that if the motors running but it won't come down then it sounds like the valve to switch fluid flow is malfunctioning since it won't come down it acts like its stuck between functions so when the motor is running the fluid just recirculates in the pump and with the bed all the way up it don't have enough weight to overcome the fluid in the pump till you up the return line preasure

stever8761

Reaction score
The valve was the only thing that makes sense to me. One person said the ram might be hanging up on something - since it only happens at full extension.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
even though its power up and down it should still come down if its low on fluid or the pumpsnot running.on my ramp the bed will go back down if i just hold thecontrol knob down without the truck running.eitheryour valve is screwed up or you piston is sticking at full extension.

stever8761

Reaction score
Interesting Point!! Pulling the cable to lower always turns the pump on - wonder what it would do with out the pump kicking on? You guys confirmed my thoughts - I'll pull that valve apart first and see what I can find! ;Sweet

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
yea try it with out any power that might let the fluid come back thru I can;t see it being anything with the cylinder or bed getting jamed cause if you can pull it down with a come along then if the pump is working right it should pull it down

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.