dropping rear fuel tank

Squirreltow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How far can you drop the rear tank to get to the fuel lines (to disconnect)?
I have removed the straps and fuel filler tube from the truck, started to drop the tank down, but stopped at about 2 inches. Still could not get clearly at the fuel line to disconnect.
Look for suggestions/precautions in order not to do damage.

Can not go below 1/4 tank of fuel.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's surprising. I don't recal seeing an issue getting to that. Do you have hose clamps or clips? Maybe it's harder with the clips.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear tank

I did mine with the bed on and it was a *****.
T broke the one side of the line were the clip goes through.
It is just as bad out as putting it back in.
Once I got the tank in there was no room to hook up the lines.
You have to **** it to get it in and out and it just sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dropped the front of mine onto my knees and disconnected the lines (clips). Came out fairly easy. Old plastic lines were kinking so I replaced bad sections with fuel hose and clamps. Went back in fairly easy also. Had about three gallons in tank at the time. Not very heavy at all.

Squirreltow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made another attempt today, got the tank to drop further. But still not enough clearance. The filler hose seems to be holding it up. The hose clamp has the screw at top dead center so it is a bear to get a tool on it. Can the front of the tank drop 4" without breaking the fuel lines? There does seem to be enough slack in the lines and wire.
Can the truck be driven without the rear tank in place as long as the fuel switch does not get changed to the rear tank? (air in line)

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You need to disconnect the filler hose at the top so it will drop some more. I drooped the rear tank too many times and every time it was with the bed on place, heck I can't even imagine moving that bed for just the rear tank. One thing that makes it easy is making that tank empty.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lifted off my bed to get at the fuel tank. You need at least 3 strong guys or a forklift/tractor with such an implement to make it easy. If you ahve enough people or that type of equipment, it becomes very easy to lift the bed all of a sudden. I think the bed comes off to easily to fight with trying to drop the tank...the front tank MAY be a different matter.

Jeff Dodson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine are both bad, can I get to the front as wellas the rear, removing the bed, if so I will kill two birds with one stone and do both at the same time

Squirreltow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was very tight to get the rear tank down, but I did it with the bed left on. Thanks for the words of wisdom everyone. I have added a piece of tubing and the tank will be going back in later today.

Squirreltow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine are both bad, can I get to the front as wellas the rear, removing the bed, if so I will kill two birds with one stone and do both at the same time

Jeff,
You can get to both tanks very easily with the bed off. The midship tank is the easier tank to get to from under the truck. The rear tank just has the spare in the way along with two cross beams.

Squirreltow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got back from vacation on Friday. Working on getting the tank back into the truck. Modified the sending unit for the larger tank and tested the sending unit while out of the tank. It reads in the acceptable ranges for empty and full. When I went to hook it up to the power on the truck, the gauge is reading way past full and does not seem to move the gauge when the float lever is moved.
Any suggestions!!!

Jeff Dodson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeff,
You can get to both tanks very easily with the bed off. The midship tank is the easier tank to get to from under the truck. The rear tank just has the spare in the way along with two cross beams.

OK, Now where is the best place to get these fuel pick ups, I dont want to have to do this again. Oh yea, and how much should they cost ?