Differences between 86 and 87 F-250

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's my understanding the holes in the tanks got larger around 1985 or so, when the fuel injected 302 and the 460's with the in tank pumps came along. This makes room for the in tank pumps to fit through. And they went ahead and changed them all to large holes, even the carbed engined trucks.
Which years are the old body style? Mine are both over 30 years old.
OBS is commonly refered to the 92-97 bodies.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's my understanding the holes in the tanks got larger around 1985 or so, when the fuel injected 302 and the 460's with the in tank pumps came along. This makes room for the in tank pumps to fit through. And they went ahead and changed them all to large holes, even the carbed engined trucks.
where's the little popcorn eating ******* when I need him? :O

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I could not tell for sure, but if you are using the 87 tanks, I would like to buy the 86 sending units from you. Mine do not work correctly, or at all. Tired of doing math to figure out how far I can go.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking that a supercab would be nice to have.
Um, you don't have one now? If not, particularly if you currently have a regular cab truck, the supercab won't just mount on it directly. Frames are completely different. Just look under your truck at where the frame dog-legs up.

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um, you don't have one now? If not, particularly if you currently have a regular cab truck, the supercab won't just mount on it directly. Frames are completely different. Just look under your truck at where the frame dog-legs up.

Good catch. I knew I needed to move the rear mount, didn't catch the frame moving up. Bed mounts will work fine for what I have planned. Body will need some floor modifications or a 2-3" body lift. I'm not against doing the body lift, but then I need to lift the bumpers and jump a little higher to get in.

I'd use the super cab chassis but then I'd need to convert it to 4x4 and swap engine and transmission as well. The spring mounts aren't there for an easy swap so I'm thinking the body lift will be the easiest option.

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to move the cross-member and set the cab on there to see if I need to raise it. I'm not a fan of high body lifts so if it's more than 1-2" needed I'm planning to cut the spots it hits and rebox the floor to clear the frame.

I'm planning just to swap the fuel sending units from the 86 to match the dash.

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So looked at the amount of floor I'd need to cut and reweld I've decided to just go with the body lift. Now I need to figure out what cables I need to order to make it all fit. I had to drop the front tank out because of the new crossmember.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cables? As in parking brake? Well since the frame is going to remain the same length, the front/intermediate cable from the original regular cab should work. Rear cables are the same on all SRW pickups for a particular year.

Edit - oh, the height difference.... Hmm. So are the bricknose parking brakes self-adjusting (built into the pedal release mechanism) like the OBS? Or is there an adjustment stud w/nut on the splitter, like the slantnose? In either case, there SHOULD be enough adjustment potential to account for the lift.

Last edited:

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the stock parking brake cable housing barely fits. I'm going to need to find a different cable or to relocate the mount for the cable.

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One other odd thing I found was the cab is 1.25" higher than the bed. Did a 3" body lift and installed new cab mounts and found things don't quite line up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online

No members online now.