Diesel neophyte

Kainoa

Reaction score
Howdy. First of all I want to thank everyone in advance for any help you may render. I've done a lot of reading on this site prior to finding the truck I wanted, and was able to determine fairly well what kind of condition the vehicle I was purchasing was in. (Time will tell of course).

The truck I got is a 1993 F250 7.3 IDI with the factory turbo, manual transmission, 4x4. A few minor scrapes, but overall very straight. Mechanic owned, he was the ONLY guy that knew what SCA's were, and stated in the CL ad that he always used the correct coolant, as did the original owner, also a mechanic. So I drove 9 hours to get this rig in WA state from So Oregon. The only concern I had was the road spray they used on the road in WA state. Sure enough, there is slight corrosion on the undercarriage, but not too bad. I think this truck will still be on the road long after I'm gone I believe.
So here are my questions for the group.

#1 Owner told me not to set the handbrake, as it may stick, and I'd be on the ground prying it loose before I could get underway. He had the cable in the back seat, so when I got home I took the wheels off and replaced the cables... they didn't fit. I looked at the packaging.. made in China. Basically the springs inside the wheel housing were longer than what came off the truck. So I went to Napa, got a new set, and replaced them....same deal. Now I'm started to get frustrated, but I'm also getting better at getting the brake springs back on. I ordered the OEM cables for Crater Lake Ford yesterday, and they fit. (note to self...OEM only) Drove the truck to the car wash down the street, and the brakes are mushy. I was never in the cab during the R&R of any of the cables, and never pushed on the brakes. I had removed a connection that I thought was the cruise control, ( which quit on the long drive home, and naiver came on again), but no change when I hooked it back up. So... do I just bleed the brakes?... that simple I hope.... spent a lot of time under this thing the last couple of days...

#2 Cruise Control. I've purchased the de-activator switch, but when I went under the hood, no such switch exists on the master cylinder, either on the top or the bottom. Could there be another location for this switch? Like I said, there was one that was kinda like it mounted to the firewall, but I want to be sure before I start removing what could be crucial parts.

Oh yeah... I want to thank the crew for the glow-plug bypass instructions. I was a bit tentative about cutting wires, but like someone here said, any schmo could do it! I used to be a shade tree mechanic as a kid when he all had Volkswagen's, and made them into Baja bugs to hunt and surf in Mexico. So after being very certain to read, re-read, and checking and rechecking, I got 'er done. Looks pretty clean too, and got the 60amp push button, (no toggle) that works like a champ.
Wow, sorry for the long winded explanation. The reason I got this year/model was because I could wrench it myself, so I'll be doing a lot of digging through this site... incredible amount of info. I have a nice 2000 Tundra, and I bought an old six-pack cab-over to take to the beach with the boat. Well the Tundra will tow the boat (19" Duckworth/ 3K#), or carry the cab-over... but not both. Exceeds the GV axle rating. I even had bladders installed in the Tundra before I realized the shortcoming. So with the 3/4 ton, I should be good.
Holy sxxx, I need to learn to be more concise!
Thanks to this great group... I've learned a lot on here already... I think you should have a convention in Vegas!
Best....
Steve

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Welcome Steve! I'm a recent convert to the diesel world as well, so while I cannot answer any of your questions, I'd like to say congrats on the new truck! This is DEF the best site for these trucks, no contest.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cruize works off the brake light switch,
Brakes' did ya re adjust the rear wheel stars after the cable swap?
Bleeding is allways a good idea on an unknown rig.

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kainoa,

WELCOME ABOARD.

My guess is that you'll soon have the correct remedy for your problems, as I've found the members to be correct in their advice & helpful.
(When I first joined, I told everyone about buying a 1986 F250 & that I wanted to put a turbo on it soon. - Almost immediately, a member from here in TX offered to help me with the installation. = NICE GUY he is.)

yours, satx

Kainoa

Reaction score
Thanks Morgonzo... there's a couple of these sites that were good, and a had a huge amount of data, almost TMI for a beginner. I think I bought a hobby...!!

Kainoa

Reaction score
Thanks Clb... yes I did. The book stated to adjust the stars until the drum will just slide on, and then until there is slight resistance to movement of the wheel... which is exactly what I did. So now I think I'm gonna bleed the system...gonna have to wait until it stops raining... ( Oregon weather)

Kainoa

Reaction score
Hi satx... yes, I gathered that from the tenor on several of the exchanges I read... lots of helpful people here. My fear of course is asking the stupid question, and getting my facts, acronyms etc in order beforehand. And unless I provide details I may not know are pertinent to diagnosis, members may decide there's little help to provide a true neophyte. So I've gone back to a google search overall, and perusing different threads/forums for info. BTW... love the William Barret quote... I'm hoping it wont come to that, but I fear it may.
KYPD...
Steve

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kainoa,

The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked AND that by not asking causes somebody to do damage to their rig.
(I frequently have made that costly error.)

LTC Travis' words are IMMORTAL to every true Texican, whether by birth or adoption.

yours, satx

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online