Detroit 6-71T Info please

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
Just make sure you keep a good muffler on it unless you like saying huh a lot.
i live on top of two 16v149's and three 4-71's all in my lil metal tugboat.
I was considering printing up shirts that say 'speak loudly, I work on 2 strokes'
or 'What? HUH?!?!?! (and than the detroit diesel emblem)

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to those who replied. The truck was on Ebay and the ending bid was $3500. I was shocked it went that high as I was only going to stay in it for $1200-1500 (and I didn't even bid). It jumped in the lat 5 min of the auction.. :dunno

french277

Reaction score
i live on top of two 16v149's and three 4-71's all in my lil metal tugboat.
I was considering printing up shirts that say 'speak loudly, I work on 2 strokes'
or 'What? HUH?!?!?! (and than the detroit diesel emblem)

Maybe so but just wait until ya screwing around with EMD 567 or645 or 710 series now that is dangbat loud one.

For the readers if in case why the EMD567 and 645 and 710 means it is a locomovite sized engine and the 645 referied to 645 CID per piston it the same number arrangement as duex temps ( two stroke ) detorts are.

here a short veido of the 567 series http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4TsgAQOSNY&feature=related

And no it is not me in the veido in case ya wondering

Merci,Marc

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
yeah marc, I've been on boats with the 16 645's
we have a handful of 20 645's here at the yard for power generation.

they don't seem too loud to me. They lack the buzz of detroits tho.
we got all kinda big engines here, alco's, cooper-bessemer, emd, detroit, Enterprise etc.

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of all the diesels I have worked on or around I think the 53na series detroits where the loudest. The only one that just about made me turn around and walk away with the hair standing up on my neck was a 8v-53 turning a little over 4000 rpms

french277

Reaction score
The only thing I don't like the 20V-645 is crankshaft issue they flex too much and end up have broken crankshaft.

I get hand full of them from few Railroad compaines useally have to repowered to the 16V-710 series that useally take care the cuprit.

[ Just dont get into the Toasters AKA GE engines ]

Donc { Hey } Deeproot .,,

Did you recalled the boxer engine AKA Fairbanks-Morse ? and also IIRC MAN did both have opposton piston engines they sound a little odd at first but they do really growls when ya yank the fuel rack to full fuel rate.

Right now I am working on a Washington Diesel and Oui { yes } it is a direct reverising engine btw.
Have to rebuilt the reverising mechsiem to get it working in remote mode right now it can be done manually at the engine location.

Merci,Marc

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
heard about, never been around.

I had a friend that told me about an old DR engine they had on a fishing boat.
They could admit starting air from the wheel house. For whatever reason it'd get stuck once in awhile and you needed to bar it over. This involved getting a 6 ft bar on the crank and jumping on it.
The call came one day "Stuck on center" and he ran down, to bar it over. While on the bar he saw the start lever open and the engine promptly jammed him between the bar and the ceiling.

After that remote controls were abandoned.

So I work on tugs and dredge equiptment. What do you do, railroad? or power generation?

Drew

french277

Reaction score
Deeproots.,

To answer your question .,

I am combation diesel mechanic and electrician

70% of my work is electrical related the rest is on diesel engines.

I do have master electrician liscince in both State of Wis and Paris France.

Merci,Marc

Most of the DR { driect reverising } the golden rules of them is anytime you work on them make sure you shut off the air supply to that engine otherwise it can happend just like what ya say with the bar pipe to turn engine over and it don't take much to move a little and get the air valve running that can ***** ya.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online