Darrin in Grand Island NE overheating.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Just got a call fron Darrin and he's in Nebraska and is currently sitting along the road letting the truck cool down as it is overheating.
The truck is also using a quart of oil every 100 miles.

The truck is 92 ATS intercooled turbo.
It ran fine at around 8 this am when he started off, but the last 100 miles is when it began to overheat.

He also said that it was not wanting to fire back up after letting it sit turned off for a bit, once going is way underpowered.

His intentions are to try to get into the next town to get a rental car, come back and trailer it back.
His cell# is 616.318.0118 and is a Nextel so coverage is spotty where he's at.

The outside temps are 18-20 degrees farenheit.

Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you know if he's been able to check the coolant level and condition? I presume the truck's burning the oil.

This doesn't sound good... :(

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
The truck is ingesting the oil.
Darrin said that the temp gauge was reading normal for the factory idiot gauge and has not been able to check coolant levels due to the overheating but it was blowing excess out as was when he noticed it after the check engine light had come on.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Checked the member map, we dont have any flags on the map for Ne.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I mapped it, 567 miles from me to where he is.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Update.
Darrin and Lori made it with a tow truck into Grand Island NE and could not find a rental car available but a bus was leaving shortly thereafter so they are now on a bus bound for Grand Rapids.
He will be getting a truck and trailer/tow dolly setup to go retrieve the truck once they get back.
From what it sounds, the motor is pretty much toast.-cuss

Darrin really didn't have much time and due to the cold, he didn't take much of a look into the problem but he's got a spare 7.3 back at his shop that he can drop in.
Needless to say, he WILL be talking to the seller as he's not the least bit happy with the deal.:backoff :backoff

Cowboy2199

Ford Diesel Tech
Reaction score
Update.
Darrin and Lori made it with a tow truck into Grand Island NE and could not find a rental car available but a bus was leaving shortly thereafter so they are now on a bus bound for Grand Rapids.
He will be getting a truck and trailer/tow dolly setup to go retrieve the truck once they get back.
From what it sounds, the motor is pretty much toast.-cuss

Darrin really didn't have much time and due to the cold, he didn't take much of a look into the problem but he's got a spare 7.3 back at his shop that he can drop in.
Needless to say, he WILL be talking to the seller as he's not the least bit happy with the deal.:backoff :backoff

Sounds to me like all the o-rings that keep the oil in the gallery for the injectors went bad, or the head cracked and started pumping oil into the cylinders, and while that was happening, due to the reduced oil pressure in the HP rail, the injectors were firing at a lower psi. Which would explain the loss of power.

Just a thought, not alot of info to go on there, but it is possible. That could also cause a lean condition and overheat the engine.

Would love to know what he found out was the cause..

Ford Tech

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
The truck is 92 ATS intercooled turbo.

Sounds to me like all the o-rings that keep the oil in the gallery for the injectors went bad, or the head cracked and started pumping oil into the cylinders, and while that was happening, due to the reduced oil pressure in the HP rail, the injectors were firing at a lower psi. Which would explain the loss of power.

Just a thought, not alot of info to go on there, but it is possible. That could also cause a lean condition and overheat the engine.

Would love to know what he found out was the cause..

Ford Tech

IDI's Don't have a High pressure oil rail

Cowboy2199

Ford Diesel Tech
Reaction score
Ah ok, old school.. LOL Guess i am goin to have to do some studyin up on those. I see alot of sigs with peeps drivin IDI engines in here.. I know the basics on those, but havent really had any experience on them. To be honest I didnt know when Ford intro'd the PSD, and its been a long time since I seen any info on the older style. I will do some readin up so I dont make that mistake again.. LOL

Thanks.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be honest I didnt know when Ford intro'd the PSD, and its been a long time since I seen any info on the older style. I will do some readin up so I dont make that mistake again.. LOL

Thanks.

PSD was introduced in late 1994. Firwt in the F seriies and about a year later in the E series.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent