Curious IDI owner

Rcn1978

Reaction score
Around town if I mash it in 3rd I can get about 9-10 pulling a good grade loaded I see 14 psi and my egt's stay at about 1000 pulling but I also back out of it to keep them temps down so I don't burn a hole in a piston
Sounds like a blast![emoji16]

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is the truck is a lot of fun to drive and a pleasure to pull with I'd rather take it on a road trip than the wif

Rcn1978

Reaction score
This is my EGT running down the road at 70 miles per hour with no load
You must be registered for see images attach

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No matter what setup you are running, timing is critical.
Without a turbo, it makes a huge difference in power, economy and EGTs.
With a turbo, it makes less of a difference(at least on the retarded side), but you can easily lose/gain 20HP with a dime's width of timing.

Play with the timing first, or plan on getting a new IP/injectors.

Rcn1978

Reaction score
Yeah that's not to bad I bet your truck will roll some coal huh? How big is the exhaust on your truck
Yeah it rolls some coal...not really black but enough to make Prius owners flip the Birdy lol. I think it is a 2 and 7/8 or so

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No matter what setup you are running, timing is critical.
Without a turbo, it makes a huge difference in power, economy and EGTs.
With a turbo, it makes less of a difference(at least on the retarded side), but you can easily lose/gain 20HP with a dime's width of timing.

Play with the timing first, or plan on getting a new IP/injectors.

True a couple of dagrees of timing can help I'm just cirious if his pump is turned up too much for his trucks setup if it's smokes grey it's too retarded black can be to advanced or to much fuel

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles are on the truck and what do you know about the injection system is and injectors as far as how old ever been replaced ? And as far as exhaust that should move enough air and when you say not really black is it kinda got a grey tint more than black

Rcn1978

Reaction score
How many miles are on the truck and what do you know about the injection system is and injectors as far as how old ever been replaced ? And as far as exhaust that should move enough air and when you say not really black is it kinda got a grey tint more than black
Around 210,000 miles. And the guy who had I before me had the whole top end of the motor rebuilt...new heads... gaskets...etc... The IP and injectors we're replaced as well but they we're replaced with stock units. The smoke is black but it's just not super thick like some I have seen and drivin

Rcn1978

Reaction score
I have a YouTube channel and on the I do a cold start on it so you can check it out if ya want.
The IDI Life

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok yeah then like macrobb said you might benefit from bumping the timing up like a dimes width I don't know how many dagrees that is but it couldn't hurt you might have to play with it a long as to get it where it feels best for you

Rcn1978

Reaction score
How do I adjust the timing?

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a ton of write up on here about it but the quick and dirty make a mark where your IP and timig cover mate together with a punch in the seam,loosen your injector lines on the IP then there are 3 nuts you loosen around the IP (not the 3 behind the cover ) the nuts are behind the IP and to advance rotate the top to the passenger side to retard top to driverside . There are a ton of videos on YouTube and the nuts are a ***** to get to but totally doable

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the timing registry thread, see if there’s someone close to you with equipment. I personally don’t think a cai will help a n/a idi but larger exhaust will. I dropped 100 degrees when I ran 4” off the factory y pipe. Dropped almost another 100 after I installed a new pump, injectors, and set timing to 8.6. What gears, trans, and tire size does your truck have? Mine had 3.07s in a dana 61, swapped to 3.73s in a 10.25 and it felt like a new motor lol. I plan to stud and turbo the truck soon even with everything I’ve done, it still doesn’t tow as well as I’d like. 10k feels like 20. I’d get your truck timed correctly and if your still not happy, start shopping for turbos new or used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance