Cross Country In Flagstaff AZ

DeeseSR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've made it to Flagstaff AZ. This cross country has put a hurting on my truck. Once I get into Ca I'll be looking to get a 7.3 that I can rebuild while i drive my truck. Any one got a rebuildable one laying around. Thanks.

DeeseSR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Serious knocking

I have a serious knocking coming from the eng when it's idleing and while I am cruising under normal load. When I get on it the knocking goes away but I am buring oil too. About 1 quart every 5 to 600 miles. It's worse in the morning though. It was so bad this morning that I thought I had a blown head gasket. I figure that I can nurse it for a while but I want another motor so I can rebuild it over the next couple months and then drop it in over a weekend.

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The easiest deal, may be to find a new Roadmaster or Jasper 6.9 and slap that into the truck. A NEW Roadmaster 6.9 is like 2500 bucks with a warranty.. Then you could spend a few bucks more and slap a turbo on it, and you could use all your good 7.3 stuff and have a really stout engine, and never have to worry about caviatation. Just an idea, since it is cheaper to buy the 6.9 and throw some ARP studs at it, and have a bulletproof IDI.. Anyhow, I live on Pendleton in San Onofre 1, so if you need any help, I can help you out. Good luck.. Scotty

DeeseSR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am getting stationed at Edwards Airforce Base. I am going to scam for a couple of years at a reserve unit. I hadn't thought about the 6.9 eng. Thanks for the info. I'll look up Jasper now. What are the benefits or drawbacks of this swap? Thanks

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
careful on the Jasper option.....
I've been getting some pretty bad noise from shops about reliability and warranties getting honored.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are we sure your knock isn't just a bad injector?

dave85

Reaction score
If you make a deal......

with Towcat on the core, I can bring it to you. I will be coming to Yucca Valley on 12/18 from Sunnyvale and can drop it off. Just have to rig a way to unload it.
I think a fillup would be fair.
Dave

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
desse-
I was about to reply to your PM, but since Dave offered transport, I'll post here. I have a rebuildable core that cam out of a '92 BBQ job. Fire originated in the cab so the motor was spared the majority of the heat. Its the same motor I am pulling the gen2 Banks off of. If you done time in the sandbox, its yours for the price of transport(see dave). Any 7.3 rebuild, I would highly reccomend a sleeve job on all 8 holes just for the peace of mind. Let me know, the motor is buried deep in the back of my shop since I didn't have much reason to leave it accessible. You might want to throw a meal in for dave too since I probably will be needing his help to excavte the motor from its hidey-hole.....

dave85

Reaction score
towcat said:
desse-
Let me know, the motor is buried deep in the back of my shop since I didn't have much reason to leave it accessible. You might want to throw a meal in for dave too since I probably will be needing his help to excavte the motor from its hidey-hole.....

Wh-h-h-o-o-o-o-a-a-a-a, are we talking about him getting it this year??
LOL LOL LOL LOL

Dave

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dave85 said:
Wh-h-h-o-o-o-o-a-a-a-a, are we talking about him getting it this year??
LOL LOL LOL LOL

Dave
What are you doing this afternoon? :D :D :D :D
Just a few furniture items that belongs to my daughter's mom needs to be moved. :eek: :D :eek: :D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you guys could use a third pair of hands and want to wait until evening, I could use a break from schoolwork (-cuss finals!!)...but I have to stay at school until 2130 or so, so if that's too late, I understand...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:
If you guys could use a third pair of hands and want to wait until evening, I could use a break from schoolwork (-cuss finals!!)...but I have to stay at school until 2130 or so, so if that's too late, I understand...
I got a feeling dave is wandering in the desert still. I would have gotten phone call from him today if he wasn't. I'll keep you posted tho. more than likely it will be tonite. I am heading down to monterey in a few minutes to go pick up a 10 wheel dump truck with bad brakes. cookoo

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like fun!! I'm on a school laptop working on a paper, but I'll keep an eye on this thread...just let me know :)

Dave, whereabouts in the desert have you been, and what for? Just curious :)

I would actually have volunteered to take the engine down there myself if Dave hadn't beaten me to the punch...I'm going to be a hop skip and a jump from where Deese is stationed in a couple of weeks, for the holidays...