could be bad injectors?

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well when i got home from work today, i decided to take a short video of the first startup of the day and let everybody have an opinion about it. the temp was about 45 degrees or so outside nothing real cold. when you first start it up its not hitting on all of the cylinders for about 5 to 10 seconds after startup depending on how cold it is. all the gp's are in working order so I'm ruling that possibility out. not realy sure if its injectors or bad timing and cold weather cause it sounds like its coming from both sides. heres a little sample.
http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii229/the5taters/?action=view&current=SDV_0169.flv

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
it may be that you have an injector or 2 that aint right, but it could just be that you have a couple bad glow plugs.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i checked all the gp and one was bad, i changed it and its still doing the same thing.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check for air in the system. When it is cold mine will pull some air, I am pretty sure the orings shrink a bit and let it in.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks type4 and dyoung for the quick responce. im planning to put all new injectors and orings, hopefully soon. this is something that has just developed in the last couple weeks. ive started it in the low 30s and never had a problem before. i dont know if you can tell from the video or not if it sounds like it has the ps rattle?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
mine rattles just like that when the motors still cold its just the timing advance it rattles like crazy but when its warmed up it quitens down a little bit. and your welcome i always try to help people, i know it can be frustrating when your truck tears up, i know every time something happens to mine and i cant figure it out i come running to one of the idi forums, and there is two forums that i like this one which i just found not to long ago, and fte which i have been a member of for a while.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know mine is air because it drips fuel off the filter where that dumb thing screws on the bottom, sounds just like yours.
We live to serve. You're welcome

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well that reminds me of something. my truck was running kind of sluggish so i decided to change the fuel filter. keep in mind that i havent owned this truck that long. when i took the filter off it was the factory fuel filter from when it was new. when i took everything apart there was so much trash in the bottom that the little drain wouldnt even turn, it was froze up. after some trio and a lot of turning back and forth i worked it loose. im just wondering if it could be letting air in from the water drain since it hasnt been used in so long?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
does the water drain leak diesel out? if so then yes but if not then probly not.