Cleaning pyro electrical contacts

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello! Quick question...

What's the best way to clean the electrical contacts on the pyro wire?

I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall someone (Travis?) saying that using steel wool on the contacts wasn't a good idea (can't remember why), and I can't think of anything else offhand.

Also, would putting dielectric grease on the contacts hinder the connection too much?

My Isspro EV pyro's only 2 years old, and it's intermittently losing signal. I'm getting ready to head down to L.A. next week, and I don't want it to lose signal while going over the Grapevine...

Thanks!

Last edited:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
wasn't me that said that - maybe another Travis.

Anyhoo treat them like you would any other electrical contact - what would work pretty well is to clean them up then after tightening them up to cover them with either liquid electrical tape or heat shrink tube - you are wanting to insulate them from the enviroment.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wasn't me that said that - maybe another Travis.

Anyhoo treat them like you would any other electrical contact - what would work pretty well is to clean them up then after tightening them up to cover them with either liquid electrical tape or heat shrink tube - you are wanting to insulate them from the enviroment.
Oh, okay...I could have sworn in court that it was you. :dunno

Thanks! I'll attack them with steel wool in the next few days...I think I still have some liquid electrical tape I can seal the connections with afterwards...thanks again! ;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
To clean them you could also buy a kitchen green scrubby and that will shine them up. Just wash them after with electrical contact cleaner to be sure.