CJ-4 HD Engine Oil

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
So I did a little research on the new CJ4 engine oil. The new oil for diesel engines running Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF). There's a lot of cost involved with this new oil. Extensive testing is expensive, and the cost is being passed on to consumers (us). They say the CJ4 oil can actually reduce engine wear, even in older engines. But is it worth the extra 20-30%?

It seems some companies are going to be continuing the production of CL4

"Some lubricant companies, like Shell, are moving their entire related product line to 2007 compliancy. Others, ConocoPhillips included, have decided to maintain two products"

I've been a Rotella guy for the past 5 years, but maybe a change is coming.

Here's a coupla good reads:

http://www.ttnews.com/lmt/UFMFeb07/newoil.asp

http://archives.fleetmag.com/publication/article.jsp?pubId=1&id=139

Last edited:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been a Rotella guy for the past 5 years, but maybe a change is coming.

If you're running Rotella 15w-40 triple protection it is already up to CJ-4 specs;Sweet Most of the others are still playing catch up but they will get there.

I suspect over the next year you'll probably have a hard time finding a diesel rated oil that isn't CJ-4 on the shelf.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great. So where was the sentance that said this new oil will prolong the life of my road draft tube significantly? LOL

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
LOL, Yea, I'm considering dropping the cash on an oil recovery setup. Prolly a Walker. With the oil costs, I guy could recoup it in 6-7 years?????

The world is changing. Us guys stuck in the basement are going to pay for all the technology, even though we don't need it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online