changed the water pump

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a long chisel I use to smack it at the edge of one of the flats in the direction it needs to go. I have been doing it for years after being showed the trick by a ford tech.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
the new ford tech tricky is an air chisel. works great! havent had one come off with this method either (saw one that didnt "stick" with the wrench tool and it was a spendy mess.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know about that trick also. I didn't mention it because some people don't have access to alot of the tools us pros take for granted.

sassyrel

Reaction score
1989f2500---get that nut tight-----NOW!!!! first time it shuts off just right--the fan will unscrew itself with speed--and goodbye radiator---those boys are warning you--me also--

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
1989f2500---get that nut tight-----NOW!!!! first time it shuts off just right--the fan will unscrew itself with speed--and goodbye radiator---those boys are warning you--me also--

+1 on that.
Got a destroyed radiator as a wall trophy to back it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a long chisel I use to smack it at the edge of one of the flats in the direction it needs to go. I have been doing it for years after being showed the trick by a ford tech.

So the "Pro's" do it the fast way, not the right way. Correct?

I've run into quite a few "professionally" installed fans that reject the use of the proper tool because the burr it leaves behind requires grinding to get a wrench to fit it again. :rolleyes: That and I'm sure the brand new water pump bearing just loves that kind of hammering abuse. It's this kind of behavior that I observed as a teen working at an Exxon station that swore me off professional help forever. But hey, it's your nut. LOL

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score

I've run into quite a few "professionally" installed fans that reject the use of the proper tool because the burr it leaves behind requires grinding to get a wrench to fit it again. :rolleyes: That and I'm sure the brand new water pump bearing just loves that kind of hammering abuse. It's this kind of behavior that I observed as a teen working at an Exxon station that swore me off professional help forever. But hey, it's your nut. LOL

Use the right tool for me!;Really

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
while i'm thinking of it what size is that nut i have to change the water pump for a buddy and he said he needed me to bring " a wrench to fit that insanely big nut"

1989f2507.3idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i drove from vernon to Wilkes bare and all over pa and back and started x amount of times it seem k i don't have the tool anymore

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Actually now I have a special tool the uses an air hammer with a driving rod to smack a special wrench. As to the burr on the nut if it is done with a properly sharpened chisel and done right a wrench will fit back on every time. I have done it before and been able to get a wrench on it later at the shop to torque it properly. As an added insurance I also use a small amount of blue locktite to make sure the fan doesn't come loose till I want it too. Also as to the abuse to the bearing this has been a recommended practice since the 60s to tighten axle and gland nuts on VWs.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
second that on the v dubs. that is where I originally learned what an air chisel does in an auto shop. I agree that it can tear things up, but I kindly disagree that it is an improper method. the ford certification instructor recommends this method due to the impact tightening effect, it is far less likely to spin off and destroy the fan, rad, and other front end components. the right tool in the wrong hands (ie backed by a less than able brain) is just as bad as the wrong tool that works.

also the blue loctite is a good idea and actually comes on the some of the new pumps (p stroke stuff).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online