Caught with my pants down

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Well, if my math is correct, 100w on a 12 volt battery system is 8.3 amps per hour. 10 minutes would use 1.38 amps. I imagine your batteries should have enough juice for that...unless you have a ton of other stuff running too.

wmoguy

Reaction score
I'm thinking my 7.3 is gonna be a spoiled brat here shortly. It may start asking me for Mai Tai's and sunscreen as it's clearly confused at how cold it is outside. :rotflmao

Thus far the only heater I have on my pickup is the 250w silicone pad I slapped on the oil pan. While it was warmer this morning (18 degrees out) it started very fast, and the starter spun it as fast as though it was a 90 degree day and the oil was hot already. I think my neighbors are gonna love all this, as the old clatterbox had to be 10 decibels quieter on cold start this morning.

I was thinking about it, and I "think" my only real vulnerability at this point is the actual fuel lines from the tank. In the spirit of remaining overly built, I think I'll go shopping for some heat tape. :rotflmao

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Hell, by the time you're done, your trucks going to purr like a 6.7 in the morning.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the way they do it in Alaska at 40* below with heating pads on everything. That heating pad on the crankcase does the trick, oil is nice and thin.

wmoguy

Reaction score
That's the way they do it in Alaska at 40* below with heating pads on everything. That heating pad on the crankcase does the trick, oil is nice and thin.

It was cool, when I called Kats for more info on certain products, I got to talking to a guy that had some cool stories about the Ice Road Truckers using their products. I love that show!

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
You're definitely the person to buy a car from, you're probably the most thorough person on here.

Me, well, I'm not slow, nor am I fast. I'm half fast(enunciate that one a couple times, you'll get it).

zpd307

Reaction score
Yep. I just called the place I buy fuel at, the nice pimple faced skater kid wasn't sure, but "thought" they started getting winter fuel a few weeks back. I'd guess it is. I have a spare starter, I'm not sure if I got a gear reduction starter or not, I'll have to look and do some searching for the best options I suppose. I've started in this cold of WX a few weeks ago w/o being plugged in (even at 10k feet) This go round she won't even kick over w/ ether. I suppose a bad GP or two could be an issue, I'd hate to think they hit the crapper considering they are only 2-3 mths old (Beru's) -cuss

Interesting article snicklas, thank you. Yea no kidding, thanks a bunch (again) EPA commies. :kick:
I've got a hunch this is my issue (or part of it.) The amt of white smoke I get while cranking is just a tiny lil puff, much less than I remember prior days in cold(er) wx.
I'm guessing one other thing I have going against me is the DPS Stage 1's. Seems pretty common knowledge they don't atomize as well as a good stock injector (but do make more power)

you are experiencing what i had to go through during the winters i had my 90. it seemed when it got below 10 degrees. it would not start, even with ether. i checked the fuel in the filter and it was cloudy. i figured out that if i changed out the filter, which i filled with atf, it would start right up everytime. so instead of changing to a new filter everytime, i would keep the froze one in a ice cream bucket inside until the filter on the truck froze up again. what a pain in the ****........ i have no idea why just the fuel in the filter would gell up/wax drop out. :dunno

wmoguy

Reaction score
you are experiencing what i had to go through during the winters i had my 90. it seemed when it got below 10 degrees. it would not start, even with ether. i checked the fuel in the filter and it was cloudy. i figured out that if i changed out the filter, which i filled with atf, it would start right up everytime. so instead of changing to a new filter everytime, i would keep the froze one in a ice cream bucket inside until the filter on the truck froze up again. what a pain in the ****........ i have no idea why just the fuel in the filter would gell up/wax drop out. :dunno

Good info thx! I have a 50w electric silicone pad that should be here today I'm going to wrap on my filter, and just use some big hose clamps to hold it onto the filter. I think that should keep things nice and warm, and when the pickup is running I "should" be ok as my 100w 12v inline heater is pre-filter so I'm thinking it should do a good enough job warming the fuel before it goes into the filter itself. If it's not enough I can always screw in another 100w probe with the housing I have on it.

redmondjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your fuel was below what is known as the "cloud point", which is the temperature at which the wax crystals start forming in the fuel. These wax crystals are too big to make it through the fuel filter and thus will stop the flow of fuel to the IP. Too many people think of the gelled fuel where it won't even flow at all, but that is seldom the problem. Fuel filter heaters will help with this issue, along with fuel additives to lower the cloud point.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Update

Well I finally got the final piece of Kats equipment on my pickup. All that was left was teh 2000w circulatory coolant heater. I had to run a 30amp circuit out to the side of the house to power all this stuff. That will work out pretty nice as I can get full power into my 5ver when I want too.

Anyway, naturally it's gotten warm here again ( go figure) but even the 35-40 degree mornings I think my truck thinks it's down in South America. :rotflmao

wmoguy

Reaction score
ether yet??

Yes and no. I've got it but afraid to use it now. The diesel shop that did all the work to my engine this fall told me they've seen multiple IDI's with cracked or decimated pre cups from ether use. I know many run ether, its just got me pausing about pulling that cable right now.

wmoguy

Reaction score
I'm officially in love w/ the circulatory coolant heater. This morning it was 13 degrees when I left the house. My windshield had some frost on it and naturally I was in a hurry to get going. Besides the truck firing over like it's 85 degrees outside, one sure can't beat immediately flipping the defrost on and having nice warm air clearing your windshield for you!

I'd consider the Circulating heater a nice upgrade for anyone in cold climate. THe nice thing about this setup is unlike the block heater, where you have to be concerned with getting cracks from excess use, that risk is negated with the Kats heater. I have the 2k watt heater on mine, and I'm guessing it's actually MORE efficient than the 1k block heater that came on our IDI's. Temp wise, it's probably similar, but mine doesn't need but maybe 30 mins to get all the coolant to temp. Energy wise, I think the Kats 2k watt maybe more efficient than a 1k.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Oh yeah. Love my ciculating in the TDi so much that I requested a price for the truck last week. See:

We do offer just the heater itself for other applications. The heater comes with a generic install kit, brackets, clamps etc, but without the VW specific hoses so you would have to figure out and purchase the appropriate hoses yourself. Cost is $79.95 each shipped if within the U.S. I can send a PayPal Request. We currently have the flu and orders are delayed a few days though. Note we did have a chance to look at a CRD with no luck at first glance in a parking lot. As you know there are no moving parts or pump inside so location is critical to its operation.

Thanks,Terry Frost
FrostHeater, Inc.
www.FrostHeater.com

Seems like a good deal. Only 1500 Watts though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online