Buying a VW TDI--Questions

ISELLTRUX

Cars and SUV's
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So bought a 2002 TDI/5spd New Beetle w/348k for $1500. Runs and drives great and AC is cold. Clutch is solid. Alignment/suspension good. Timing belt replaced the original @ 298k. Synthetic oil changes every 10k. Put 5600 miles on it since buying 09/01/2019. The alternator quit alternating/charging a couple days ago and the smell of burnt circuitry was evident in the cabin. Any idea of cost of labor to get this replaced and should I do the timing belt since mechanic will be half way there? This is above my skill of mechanics. And I spell Mechanics, Mekaniksss. LOL.

Last edited:

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The alternator takes 2 hrs you have to move the AC pump out of the way it's really not a bad job as long as your not laying on the ground also the timing belt is good for 90k miles but if inspect it that only akes 2 min

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All and all i'd say anyone quotesyou more than 2.5 hrs id take it elsewhere also like I said an alternator is easy to change not a lot has to come down it's not a like you have to remove a motor mount do you want a pic of it

mckenziedg

Reaction score
My brother just got a 2015 Passat and loves it. 40+ MPG got all the bells and whistles..leather, heated seats, etc.

I think he paid about $10,000 for it with 50,000 miles.