Brick nose 7.3 powerstroke

Skidtech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The part of the project I'm worried about is the in cab wiring. I think I'm gonna have to cut out the section of firewall with the bulkhead and pcm and weld it in the other truck and I think I'm gonna have to transplant the whole steering column, fuse box, dlc, and guage cluster. And probably more stuff I haven't thought about.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Harleyje

Reaction score
Im in the process of putting a 97 powerstroke in place of a 93 idi

Skidtech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya that will be a real similar project. At least it's the same body style though so the wiring in the cab shouldn't be terrible. At least as long as you have a donor truck.

Skidtech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got the underhood wire harness completely removed and installed in the new truck. I got the wire harness for the cab completely removed and mapped to build a custom harness. It will probably be Monday before I actually build the harness but it should be pretty easy. Meanwhile I am cutting the hole for the new bulkhead and removing a lot of the dash in order to install the wiring. I am also going to have to trim the dash out to accept the new instrument cluster.
You must be registered for see images attach

Skidtech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you solved the throttle pedal yet? That’s something I was wondering about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So the throttle pedal bolted up using the same holes and bolts as the old one. Also the pcm hole is in the firewall under the insulation and it fit in it perfectly so that was a happy surprise.

Skidtech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I forgot to take more pictures but if anybody is interested I got the wire harness installed and got the engine running and everything on the instrument cluster works. Now just working on finishing touches on the wiring and should be on the road with it soon.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you keep the 87-91 dash or change the whole thing with the newer dash? what year is your donor powerstroke and wiring harnesss?

red 87-91 dash is my favorite! I would love to use one in my Centurion if I can make it work with my 96 powerstroke powertrain.

my 89 C350 Centurion 4x4 , 96 7.3PSD E4OD, 87-91 Red dash and interior, 85 front clip and quarters. perfection! After restoration..........

Skidtech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kept the original dash and just used the new cluster. I haven't trimmed the cover out to fit it yet but just a small amount of trimming to make the new cluster work.

Harleyje

Reaction score
I have been driving the 97 powerstroke for now to see how it runs , i have got a problem with the ignition the tumbler moves and the shaft goes toward the fire wall and back and the starting lights come on but thats it is there an easy fix? Im not going to get a steering column for it because i dont want to spend the money i got the truck on a trade anyways basically for free

Skidtech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I know it has been awhile but I thought I would go ahead and update you all. This project is finally over and everything works and looks great. I will try to remember to post some pics in the next couple of days so you can see what all I had to do. The only real problems I had were trying to make the obs wiring work in the brick nose. I didnt know if the old style ignition switch would handle both wiring harnesses so wound up installing the powerstroke ignition switch into the dash under the steering column. The guy I was doing the project for also wanted a push button start for whatever reason so we wired that up too. All in all it was a good and relatively easy project and the only downside is that it is a little cumbersome to start with 2 ignition switches and a pushbutton. On the other hand it would be hard to steal lol.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a little late, but its super easy to make a stand alone harness for the powerstroke. No screwing with the dash or swapping a complete harness.

This is all it takes to make them run. Hook up one wire to the battery and one wire to key switched power (the old wire to the IP solenoid) and away it goes.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a little late, but its super easy to make a stand alone harness for the powerstroke. No screwing with the dash or swapping a complete harness.

This is all it takes to make them run. Hook up one wire to the battery and one wire to key switched power (the old wire to the IP solenoid) and away it goes.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mind to share which wire needs 12v and which one needs switched power? :sly

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You run constant power to the main lug on the underhood fuse box, it Powers all the relays and fuses. Then the switched power runs to the idm relay, once it powers up it turns everything else on. My harness is just the underhood and dash harness with everything not needed cut out (which is most of the wires). Then move the idle validation fuse from the in cab fuse box to the underhood one and completely eliminate the in cab fuse box.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86