breaking in new engine?

wftree

Reaction score
I blew up my old engine so I am getting a rebuild.

Anything special I should do to break her in. I usually change the oil after only 500 to 1000 miles to clean out any crap.

How hard can I run it after I get it home? I will be leaving on vacation as soon as it is done pulling 14,000 lbs

WFTREE

Wideopen

It's all about me.
Reaction score
That seems like a good way to break it in... I would talk to whom ever is building and go by there specs.. that way if it takes a dump... it's there baby

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Add some Stanadyne Lubricity Formula or Performance Formula to your tanks especially if diesel #1 is what's available this time of year.

wftree

Reaction score
I use power service and there is about 120 gallons already mixed in the truck ( 85 gallon aux tank ) I will get the truck back on wednesday and take a drive, I am guessing about 8 - 10 hours Just driving randomly through Western New York and Western Pennsylvania. Find some hills, find some long flat roads etc. and if I am lucky I will get lost (of course if I have no idea where I want to go will I really be lost)

WFTREE

rubberfish

Reaction score
I've always been told to break it in the way you intend to drive it on a regular basis.
You can also think of it this way,
in a work truck situation there is no break-in period.
You get the truck to the yard, hook up to a trailer, and start pulling:) .
Personally, I think the worst thing you can do is baby it.
Some have said that an easy break in can cause premature blow-by down the road.
Don't baby it, or **** kick it, and you'll be ok, enjoy.

gotdiesel?

Fine Diner
Reaction score
Like we always said on the farm, the best running tractor was the one bought new in the spring, and broken in pulling a plow. A friend of mine did just that with his new AGCO(I think that's what it's called this week), and another broke in and identical tractor mowing hay, and after I had run them both, I would say it is definitely better to run them hard for the break in!!!! There was a noticable difference, will have to wait and see if any difference in the long term.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7