brake/tailights quit

pauls painting

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:confused: out of town and stuck with no brake or tail lights ..... truck is:94 f250 4x4 5 spd stock everything 244,500 miles . working out of town w/utility trailer 5x10 everythings been working good for awhile ,last month new shoes in rear turned drums last week abs light comes on i have excellent brakes . get pulled over by p/d ,says i have no trailer lights. really cool cop tells me to pull into parking lot and try to fix them (no ticket) i have tail lights on truck/trailer now . no emergency flasher or brake lights, removed 25amp fuse at bottom of fuse box and now have turn signals.still no brake lights . previous owner had 5th/goose setup. wiring was done right looks oem.?? does abs light on dash have somthing to do with the brake lights? please help ..........thanx in advance for any sugestions :confused: :confused:

pauls painting

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:confused: central missouri right now. will drive home this morning, and try to fix this evening. could i have bad brake light switch? there is no power to the wires going to switch. told wife i should drive to rally and have one of the diesel gurus help.
only 5hrs from home

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
pauls painting said:
removed 25amp fuse at bottom of fuse box and now have turn signals.still no brake lights .

This part makes no sence to me. :confused: Anyway, the fuses for the lights in question are at the upper left of the box, both should be 15A. You can bypass the brake light switch to see if it's bad. If it's not the B/L switch or fuse it could be the turn signal switch, the brake lights are wired through it.

pauls painting

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok made it home. i thought the same thing obout that fuse . it is i belive the abs fuse. the abs light is on and flashing untill i removed that fuse??then turn signals worked. also 3rd brake light buld is bad ,melted the socket a little.

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
OK, yea the ABS fuse is bottom center. That melted socket might be shorting too causing the fuse to blow. And the ABS does use the same brake light switch for it's signal.

Another thought, the brake light switch is on the linkage and moves with the pedal. It's getting old enough that wire insulation is getting brittle and prone to breaking eventually taking the actual wire with it.

And just for refrence: ABS is designed to be passive (I think that's the right term) meaning if it fails the brakes will operate like a non ABS system.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin