Biodiesel

SUPERDUTYSPV

PSD Fan
Reaction score
This is Ford's official response form my question as to whether or not I can or can not run biodiesel in my 04 6.0 PSD.

Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding the use of biodiesel fuel.

Fuels containing no more than 5% biodiesel may be used in Ford diesel powered vehicles.
There are still some unresolved technical concerns with the use of biodiesel at concentration greater than 5%. Some of the concerns are as follows:

- Special care is required at low temperatures to avoid an excessive rise in viscosity and loss of fluidity
- Storage is a problem due to higher then normal risk of microbial contamination due to water absorption, as well as a higher rate of oxidation stability which creates insoluble gums and sediment deposits
- As it is hygroscopic, the fuel tends to have increased water content, which increases the risk of corrosion
- Biodiesel tends to cause higher engine deposit formations
- The methyl esters in biodiesel fuel may attack the seals and composite materials used in vehicle fuel systems
- It may attack certain metals such as zinc, copper based alloys, cast iron, tin, lead, cobalt, and manganese
- It is an effective solvent, and can act as a paint stripper
- It tends to loosen deposits in the bottom of fuel tanks of vehicles previously run on mineral diesel.

Should you require additional information about this matter, please contact the service department at your local Ford dealership. To locate a Ford or Lincoln-Mercury dealership, please visit www.genuineflmservice.com.

We consider the satisfaction of our customers one of our most important objectives. If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to address them for you.

Sincerely,
Maisha
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

hemi1224

Reaction score
Ok guys. While Ford is being overly concerned about Bio, some of the info they gave you is very true it eats away some compounds, this incluedes some left overs in your tank and some rubbers. Most Bio can gell depending on the injectors and the temp. I work in a lab at Purdue University that does research on Bio D. if you really want some references to research articles I can provide them.

hemi1224

Reaction score
I did forget to say Bio is improveing very fast and most of those problems are out dated.

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Hemi...welcome aboard good to have ya here.

I for one would like to see this info, as I am starting to really consider bio-d in my 06 PSD.

Also if it's ok with SUPERDUTYSPV and the mods maybe we should move this to the BIO-D forum as this info would apply to all of us.

John

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Super you did not IMHO put it in the wrong place at all, as your original post was clearly directed toward the PSD.

I was just thinking that maybe in the Bio forum it would get seen by all not just us 6.0 guys and gals.

John

hemi1224

Reaction score
It will take a bit for me to get the references cut down to be relevent for you guys not just the engineering of the Bio-D and I won't be in the lab till monday so expect it some time this week.

hemi1224

Reaction score
And this is going to be jsut bio deisel info not specific to any engine.