batteries

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok guys, time for new batteries, the optima red tops 800 cca are $130 each, wally world has a 1000 cca energizer for $65. are the red tops worth the extra bucks? what are you running and opinions about them???

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wal-mart batteries have an awesome warranty, and most of the time they won't even check them first. Besides, I've had them for years, ran them dead, pop started it, and charged them up again. just 2 cents

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I looked at the optima for mine, but the red top is a bit shy on reserve capacity, you'd really need the commercial optima, but they look to be just a hair tight on the hood.

I put in a pair of group 35 big truck batteries at about 1150ca each. They cost about $62 each
I did have to space both batery trays away from the fender about 3/8" to fit them in

-------------Robert

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2 Interstate Megatons in mine. I think they were about $80-90 bucks each at the Interstate store. 750cca, good reserve capapcity, no gripes after 3 years and a lot of abuse, lot of bleeding air, hard starting, once i even left the lights on throughout the church service and it still fired right up after that. The Cat gel cells 1000CCA area lso supposed to be good. The Wal-Mart ones are fine and as was mentioend, good warranty. I don't know see teh Optimas being worth the extra bank.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the WalMart batterys

I have ran the WalMart yellow batterys in all my trucks for years and no problem.[the most CCA's they sell]
I ran snow plows and with the extra draw no problem.
I think its cheap for the CCA"s and durable.
I will be honest I just purchased a Bosh for my IDI a few months ago only because I happen to be @ Pepboys and not real happy:backoff .
I am going t o Walmart today to get 2 new yellow batterys.:thumbsup:

olivera149

Reaction score
i use wally yellows too, up here in alaska, but the extreme cold kind of wears them down quick(about -30 to -40F) without the cold i have had no problems. If my truck wont start without plugging in then i just return them, but whens its that cold i only start/stop at my house anyways. So i replace about halfway through winter up here for the last 3 years.

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like the wally world yellows get the most votes, thanks for the replies
gunnie

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The motorcraft batteries at the dealer are not soo expensive compared to the ones at the parts store and they are Motorcraft. Now I don't see them competing with the wallmart warranty.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wal Mart Yellows

Picked up 2 new ones $63.00 each 1000 CA 850 CCA
Motorcraft one I replaced was 1000 CA 875 CCA.
I have a buddy that works @ Ford and he gives me parts 10% over cost
my cost on a Motorcraft was a little less than $90.00
I think most of the warrentys are the same 3 year free replacement.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you check out http://www.autobatteries.com/ you will learn that Johnson Controls is the manufacturer of the following brands of batteries

True Start
Duralast
Mitsubishi
Mazda
Honda
Autocraft
Eveready
Energizer
Power Connection
Diehard
Equalizer
Kirkland Signature
Everstart
Motorcraft
Optima

That is why they all basically carry the same warranty because there all the same except for the Optima battery. So your Motorcraft battery that you buy from a Ford dealer is the same as Everstart sold by Walmart.

Knowing this information even before I bought 2 Diehard batteries from Sears and paying more than I would have at Wally World, I did so because I did not want to deal with the second battery under the hood of the E350 I have.

I also wanted to see how the guy was going to get it out and it took a lot of manuvering.