Banks turbo on 7.3

briankk

Reaction score
I don't remember the studs for sure, but I'd bet that if you remove them and replace them with some 3/8" bolts (I think) you would have an easier time reinstalling or removing in the future. I'm guessing that it's almost impossible to remove it with the studs in place. I could be wrong on that. After you get the airbox off, then you shouldn't have to remove any of the turbo mounting hardware. It may be tricky to get to one or two of the rear injectors, but it can be done. I have the same style of turbo, but will NOT be using any of the Banks air inlet pieces when I install it after finishing the overhaul of my engine. Mine is an early Banks, nonwastegated turbo that has been upgraded by Typ4.

Was thinking if can remove air box with last 2 studs, would try to fangle an airfilter w/o the box.
Who/what/where is Typ4, and what do they do to the turbo? I've heard that Banks won't answer questions about it. Hell, it's my experience that Banks won't even answer their phone.. I've had a bit of experience with other turbos in other cars. My first
guess is that that cartridge is a bog standard bit from an old Garret or some such. The wheels, maybe not so much.. How well documented is the turbo on the Powerstroke? Published compressor wheel maps, or any such info?

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both setups. The two piece box and intake hat and the one piece.
The two piece is nicer because it allows you to use the intake hat and ditch the box and use a different filter setup.
Moving forward, remove the two bolts or nuts that hold the box to the intake hat and then remove the long bolt holding the intake hat to the intake manifold. Remember to loosen the hose clamp on the turbo first.
As far as removing the turbo, no need. You'll have plenty of room to do all the work you need to do

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, not a Sidewinder, the earlier version with no wastgate, lives ain a big cast alum. box. Not really a turbo in the same since that the Powerstroke is a turbo, but in the since that the airplane guys would call turbo compensation.. Not intended to produce more power all the time, but to prevent bogging on hills..
As to the injectors, when I finally get to 'em I intend to have 'em pop checked/replaced before reinstalling, too hard to do it twice!

This turbo will produce power all the time. I'm confused as to who you've been getting info from but it's wrong.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The non-wastegated banks turbos are a bit anemic, but will definately provide some added air. More air means you can crank the fuel up and get more power.

gandalf

Reaction score
... and I don't have/can't buy a manual for this thing. Hoping some one here knows the procedure to get the thing off of there so I can proceed. ...

Ask and ye shall receive. I have that manual, in pdf format. I had the same squarebox turbo on my '86 truck. Removing that big airbox isn't too difficult, though I can't remember exactly how. I know I never had any real problem with it. As I recall: undo the bolts holding the top to the bottom, then there are bolts inside, and one or two strut braces on the outside. I'll post a picture if I can find a good one.

If you would like a copy of the manual, actually the installation manual, PM me your email address.
You must be registered for see images attach

gandalf

Reaction score
Just to add a bit: This is the square air box we referring to through all this. That sits on top of the intake shown above, which in turn sits on the standard round intake Ford used. You can see one of the strut braces under the sirbox, near right corner of the airbox.

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Who/what/where is Typ4, and what do they do to the turbo?
Typ4 (Russ) is a member on here and he's highly recommended for turbo, pump, and injector work. He modified my turbo to make more boost and have it come on at a lower RPM. These non wastegated turbos are designed to build boost at higher RPMs than one with a wastegate.

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this the truck that was for sale in ******?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

briankk

Reaction score
I saw the ad, thought of going for a look, but too far away.

I see now that there 495 Ford diesel trucks f/s in Sacramento. Jerry Brown is ruining the market..

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw the ad, thought of going for a look, but too far away.

I see now that there 495 Ford diesel trucks f/s in Sacramento. Jerry Brown is ruining the market..

There are 495 diesel trucks for sale in sac? Now I know we’re to look.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online