Axle swaps

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I've been reading pretty extensively on the Dana 60 swap for the front end of my 94 IDIT F250 extended cab 4x4. I've been able to locate an 86 cclb F350 IDI 4x4 (kingpin) with the motor in pieces that they guy gave up on. If I'm not mistaken, this should be a pretty straightforward swap. I was hoping to just unbolt the axle from my truck at the leafs and roll it out while doing the same from the F350. I know there's more to it, but that's the basic plan. The main concerns I have are the drive shaft and the brake lines. Will there be any issues there?

Next, I wanted to swap the rear axles because I have 3.55's and the F350 has 4.10's, so I figured it would be easier to just swap out the axle than to buy a new set of gears and install them. Again, concern is brake lines. Also, this truck is a manual and I don't believe it came with ABS (I'm not sure). Do I need to worry about the speed sensor or whatever goes in the rear diff? I have an E4OD and the F350 has a 4-speed.

Is there anything I'm missing? It comes with a lift on it, so I can grab the pitman arm as well.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC 86 rear has tone ring sensor on it and should work for your application.

The front axle is as u guessed a basic bolt in.

You shoukd get longer 350 shocks too and also do not forfet the track bar and its mount and the pitmam arm as well.

Look at my big blue ox build thread...I swapped in a d60 to replace the chicken wing d50.

F350 has different double cardan front drive ahaft and output on the front of tcase....IMHO grab tcase too keep it along w that front driveshaft..

What trans in 86?

Good luck w swap...be preparred for extensive spray lubricant and pounding and cutting of bolts...buy new onez...

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you will need to use the 86 Calipers on your truck with the 60 but flex lines should work. do you know how much lift is in the F350 ? the F350 had 4" rear lift blocks OEM and you will need those in place of your 2" blocks in the F250.
I thought the 86 F350 did not have a sensor in the diff, might want to check that out before doing the rear diff swap. you should have everything you will need from the 86 if the axles/suspension are complete.

you F250 drive shafts should work front/rear. much easier to find a complete parts truck with all the bits on it instead of trying to piece together!:popcorn

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
you will want the f350 springs in front. along with shocks and brake lines ,trackbar and mount,front shaft, steering with pitman arm,and the rear 4 inch blocks. the rear you will need to find one from a newer truck as 86 will not have the speed sensor. also your truck has a long pinion sterling. 86 will have short pinion.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
IIRC 86 rear has tone ring sensor on it and should work for your application.

The front axle is as u guessed a basic bolt in.

You shoukd get longer 350 shocks too and also do not forfet the track bar and its mount and the pitmam arm as well.

Look at my big blue ox build thread...I swapped in a d60 to replace the chicken wing d50.

F350 has different double cardan front drive ahaft and output on the front of tcase....IMHO grab tcase too keep it along w that front driveshaft..

What trans in 86?

Good luck w swap...be preparred for extensive spray lubricant and pounding and cutting of bolts...buy new onez...

This is basically what I thought. The 86 has a manual 4-speed, but I'm not familiar with the model. I'm not sure the t-case would fit an E4OD. Grab it still?

you will need to use the 86 Calipers on your truck with the 60 but flex lines should work. do you know how much lift is in the F350 ? the F350 had 4" rear lift blocks OEM and you will need those in place of your 2" blocks in the F250.
I thought the 86 F350 did not have a sensor in the diff, might want to check that out before doing the rear diff swap. you should have everything you will need from the 86 if the axles/suspension are complete.

you F250 drive shafts should work front/rear. much easier to find a complete parts truck with all the bits on it instead of trying to piece together!:popcorn

No idea how much lift is there. The guy has it sitting on 37's, but they're not coming with it. It is not only easier to pull from a complete truck, it's cheaper too. I found multiple 1 Ton fords available for ~$1k and pulled axles for $1200+.

you will want the f350 springs in front. along with shocks and brake lines ,trackbar and mount,front shaft, steering with pitman arm,and the rear 4 inch blocks. the rear you will need to find one from a newer truck as 86 will not have the speed sensor. also your truck has a long pinion sterling. 86 will have short pinion.

Dang. Raining on my parade already. I'll have to source a rear end. Those are pretty cheap and easy to come by. How hard is it to do a regear? It's about the same price as buying an axle...

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
to have a shop regear will run 500-700. that includes the new gears and install kit.

around me complete sterlings go for 150-250

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

So here's the door sticker from the 86. Looks like the axle code is 39 which would mean it's a 3.55 ratio Sterling 10.25.

If this is right, I don't need to swap the rear axle because my 94 already has 3.55 in them so the Dana 60 from the 86 will match my current gear ratio, which is sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used F350 front leafs also. F250 springs were too low in front. Pic shows difference between stock F250 & stock F350 front leaf springs.
You must be registered for see images attach

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
good to know. I was planning to use the f350 springs anyway, but I was curious how they would sit.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
good to know. I was planning to use the f350 springs anyway, but I was curious how they would sit.

When we D60'd my buddy's '90 F250 (std cab, IDI, 5spd), I figure the truck ended up ~2" taller in the front... that's with the F350 leafs. It was taller than the rear, which we fixed later with the F350 blocks. He had the F250 shaft shortened to fit. Works fine and easier to grease.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
When we D60'd my buddy's '90 F250 (std cab, IDI, 5spd), I figure the truck ended up ~2" taller in the front... that's with the F350 leafs. It was taller than the rear, which we fixed later with the F350 blocks. He had the F250 shaft shortened to fit. Works fine and easier to grease.

Did he have to modify the shaft? I was hoping mine would fit. I've heard mixed reviews on this. I also have the shaft from the donor truck.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
He had the F250 shaft shortened/balanced at a shop. It was a D44ttb truck, so about 2" too long.

The F350 tcase has a different yoke on it for the double-cardan CV. You may be able to swap the yoke...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He had the F250 shaft shortened/balanced at a shop. It was a D44ttb truck, so about 2" too long.

The F350 tcase has a different yoke on it for the double-cardan CV. You may be able to swap the yoke...
IIRC there is a difference in splines between 250 amd 350 cases....making swap not so easy....but i could be wrong