aux oil cooler install

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally when running hi temps pulling loads, I use Synthetic oil in both the engine and trans., then I don't have to worry about those hi temps. The engine oil is good for 15,000 miles before a change, the trans oil is good for 50-60,000 miles. The hi engine oil temps (260*) will lower the PSI to 30#, as long as I have that much PSI, it's the volume of oil circulated that counts. The engine oil that does the lubricating after it passes thru the oil cooler is about equal to the radiator coolant temp, not what the oil pan temp is. The oil pan temp will be higher because of the piston oil squirters.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally when running hi temps pulling loads, I use Synthetic oil in both the engine and trans., then I don't have to worry about those hi temps. The engine oil is good for 15,000 miles before a change, the trans oil is good for 50-60,000 miles. The hi engine oil temps (260*) will lower the PSI to 30#, as long as I have that much PSI, it's the volume of oil circulated that counts. The engine oil that does the lubricating after it passes thru the oil cooler is about equal to the radiator coolant temp, not what the oil pan temp is. The oil pan temp will be higher because of the piston oil squirters.

i run synthetic oil too,Bill.oil breakdown is of no concern to me though.it's just that by keeping the oil temp around 200* this also aids in helping the coolant temps stay around 200* too, so my electric engine fans hardly need to work at all.;Really airflow is free energy as im going down the road anyway.im just putting that airflow to good use by keeping the oil cooler,thus keeping coolant cooler,thereby requiring much less alternator power to run e-fans.even while at 15k gross,pulling grades,it really has drastically taken a load off my radiator.it's just about being able to work the engine hard and require less effort to keep it running cool.

when empty (8k lbs truck) im never seeing my electric cooling fans ever coming on....unless idling.it's kinda neat to see electric cooling fans working more while driving through D&D getting a cup of joe,than it is to see them working pulling a grade at 15k gross.:D

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would go a different route.

Just for the sake of safety and me not liking routing all of the engine's oil flow through a cooler... I think a good way of doing it would be to build a bypass oil filter setup and put the cooler after the filter. That way if a line fails, you dont instantly loose all oil pressure and you don't have to rely on 1/2" hose to supply all of the oil flow for the engine... That and bypass oil filtration is ****. Lol

it wouldn't work anywhere near a good as this setup.when working the engine,the oil heats fast! the only way to keep it cooler whiling pulling grades is full flow.
where i decided to test for my problem was only a 1/4 mile long grade and not even that steep.260* in under a minute.a bypass system isn't going to keep up with that.i suspect i was probably pushing 300*+ on real hills around here.i didn't wait to test anymore i just knew it was my problem for my spikes in coolant temps.
if you go with the high quality hose like i did,you'll see there's little concern.this stuff is very rugged!;Sweet

http://ph.parker.com/us/en/high-temperature-hydraulic-hose-426

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
so with the newer and larger oil cooler installed.it's July and as hot as it gets.i had chip truck loaded with white pine wood and brush rakings along with the dump trailer full of white pine.i decided to turn my fans off (i have an adjustment in cab) to see if my engine would get too warm.
i drove about 40 miles home today in upper 90F temps without a need for engine fans.the highest the temps got was 220F and i saw a quick spike of 225F on the steepest and longest grade.
though i was watching the temps like a hawk nervously while running this test,i didn't need to be.i was surprised as all get out.all it took was airflow.grabbing a cup of coffee the truck heated up just as high as when i was hauling.
so......if you ever need more engine cooling for your idi,aim for the heart.attack her oil.she'll run much,much lower coolant temps if you do.the larger the aux air, oil cooler,the more impressive the results of course.with a t-stat in the oil lines i don't have to worry about over cooling in cold temps.
just wanted to share the results of the new,larger cxracing oil cooler.

caution! i do not recommend trying to run your idi truck without engine cooling fans in high heat,even running empty!!!!
i have electric cooling fans,and indicator of their speed,and full control of them on the fly for testing.this was a very controlled test.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well considering it was 40.7C here or about 105 F today...this aux oil cooler setup would likely be a very worthwhile investmemt for the truck.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I asked the co. Making the block adapter to make me a bypass adpt. So I could keep the filter in place...
Tech dept. said nogo-cuss

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
so with the newer and larger oil cooler installed.it's July and as hot as it gets.i had chip truck loaded with white pine wood and brush rakings along with the dump trailer full of white pine.i decided to turn my fans off (i have an adjustment in cab) to see if my engine would get too warm.
i drove about 40 miles home today in upper 90F temps without a need for engine fans.the highest the temps got was 220F and i saw a quick spike of 225F on the steepest and longest grade.
though i was watching the temps like a hawk nervously while running this test,i didn't need to be.i was surprised as all get out.all it took was airflow.grabbing a cup of coffee the truck heated up just as high as when i was hauling.
so......if you ever need more engine cooling for your idi,aim for the heart.attack her oil.she'll run much,much lower coolant temps if you do.the larger the aux air, oil cooler,the more impressive the results of course.with a t-stat in the oil lines i don't have to worry about over cooling in cold temps.
just wanted to share the results of the new,larger cxracing oil cooler.

caution! i do not recommend trying to run your idi truck without engine cooling fans in high heat,even running empty!!!!
i have electric cooling fans,and indicator of their speed,and full control of them on the fly for testing.this was a very controlled test.

Had her loaded up now in July again.This time with fresh cut red oak.Very,very dense and heavy wood.Had the bed and dump trailer full.
E-fans worked on high speed for a minute or two on the hills! I don't see this happen much anymore.Max coolant temps 230F......That can still be under oem
mechanical clutch engagement.Max trans temps 210F.
I dunno what I was grossing and probably wouldn't want to know lol but it had to be near max GCVWR of the truck.

With an intercooled banks and bull moose,I actually had to let off her on the grades.She would climb them.......we'll just say "fast" :D but according to the EGT's I had to back out and even fed her manual 2nd gear w/ 3k+ rpms to drop the temps.
If I had to haul this heavy very often with this truck,then I would of course ditch the 3.55's and go with 4.10's not for more power but to help aid in reduced exhaust temps but I've got an F450 to use too.I just need to install a good reliable trans in that truck now so I can take her anywhere worry free again.
Anywho,this large aux oil cooler,though expensive to setup has been worth it's weight in gold in this truck.

OK it looks like gross was likely around 19k here boys.She took that in stride considering.Most of the time she's just around 14-16k with chips and the chipper and takes that like a boss.
Reman trans going in the big truck this week.:D

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a nice jag!;Sweet That looks like a modern mirror on that truck.Are you cheating using a modern truck?:D