anyone running wmo in 6.5l

Simone0414

Reaction score
I'm running SVO but not WMO. I have heard the same thing as well about the optical sensor. I am taking a bit of a gamble with with VO & that is much clearer then MO would be. I think you would have problems. Just my opinion though. I have no facts to back this up.

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can run wmo in a 6.5 but you have too use a mech. IP (94' or older) if you run a electronic IP then you can only run about 10%WMO unless you use a centrifuge too clean the oil. the centrifuge takes out alittle bit more of the soot making it easier for the optic sensor too "see" through the fuel.

hope this helps

and if your gonna run a 6.5 you need to do yourself a favor and replace the lift pump with a holley pump or better. when i got my 6.5 i was told the same thing and i just coudnt emagin that gm would produce a vehicle with such a crappy pump. well i was wrong!! trust me. you really want to put in a good lift pump. especially if your gonna run alternative fuels. the stock lift pump has a hard enough time pushing diesel.
and if your serious about wmo i would also recommend water injection to keep those combustion chambers clean. the 6.5 has a tnedency to collect carbon on the injectors and running wmo makes it that much worse. water injection will cure this. even when my 6.5 was only burnin diesel and not wmo the water injection really healped. it also lowers the intake temp since thiers not an intercooler.

Last edited:

dank1945

Hippo Hands man
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking at buying a 96 2500 Sierra SL turbo diesel, 5 spd, about 130,000 miles. Will I be able to run 50/50 veggie oil in it with an electric lift pump, without other mods?
Thanks,
Dan

Simone0414

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking at buying a 96 2500 Sierra SL turbo diesel, 5 spd, about 130,000 miles. Will I be able to run 50/50 veggie oil in it with an electric lift pump, without other mods?
Thanks,
Dan

You can but the question is how long? I have never been a fan of blending. I have no experince with it but I don't think you are thinning the oil out enough to run it through your IP & injectors without eventually having problems. IMO you would be better off installing a good 2 tank system & heating the oil to min 160f before IP. It will cost a bit to get set up but its cheaper then engine repairs.

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont mix veggie and d2 it slowly builds a sludge on the inside of your fuel system. its ok if it gets mixed alittle but try and avoid it. bio Diesel might help with cleaning out this sludge but i never tried that. some people disagree with this. but i put alot of miles on my veg/d2 blend and didnt notice a problem until many miles down the road. at first it ran great. i dont blend veg with anything now. but i do blend d2 with wmo--thats my favorite.

p.s my fuel was heated very well and still got the sludge--i think its a reaction between the d2 additives and the veggie fat