Another newb starting prob.

conan

Reaction score
You guys are prob getting sick of this type of thread, but here goes. I have a 92 f250 7.3. It has gotten hard to start, and after doing a search, I decided that an air leak was the most obvious culprit. I changed the o-rings on the fuel lines to and from the filter. It cured the prob about 80% of the time, but occasionally it still acts up taking 3 cycles of the glow plugs and a long crank to start, no does'nt matter cold or hot. There are no signs of fuel leakage anywhere. What should I be looking for next? Any opinions?

Thanks, Conan

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The easy question is how low are the fuel tanks when this is happening? If they are 1/4 or lower you may have the fuel pickups broken off in the tanks. Then again it could be the lift pump going bad. How many miles are on the fuel system... Injectors, injection pump.... Do you have the metal fuel return line that is found on the drivers side of the intake manifold? If so way in the back it has that special line line flat o-ring. Over time it will leak. Its something that plenty of owners miss because they don't know its there. I know I "found it" just by accident. The lift pump should have 5 to 7 lbs of pressure pumping to the filter.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
it still sounds like a fuel problem if it keeps on happening even when the engine's warm. fill the tanks up, get her started, and bleed the shreader valve until theres no more air coming out. then shut it off for the night, and if the problem comes back in the morning, you might have to double check your o rings and lines again. did you replace all the return lines??

conan

Reaction score
I didn't replace any return lines yet. The truck has about 210,000 miles on it, I'm assuming all original. Oh yeah, it doesn't matter how full the fuel tanks are either. So in what order should I start replacing stuff? I can't do it all at once, as I have a limited budget.

conan

Reaction score
One more question, where is a good place online to order a lift pump, injectors, line kit etc.?

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Have you considered not replacing your lift pump, but by-passing it?
Many of us have installed electric pumps, locating them on the frame near the fuel selector valve. The advantage is that all leaks will now be visible, because they are now under pressure.

Holley Red seems to be the pump of choice.

onetonride

onetonride
Reaction score
could another problem be that the glow plug relay is going out and might need new glow plugs also? my truck had that same problem( taking three cycles to start) and when i replaced everything no problem since.. and i recommnd going to pensecola diesel online for injectors pump and line kit if you need it. hope this helps. josh

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try draining the water out of your fuel filter, and maybe changing your filter while you are at it.

Marq
______________________________________________________1990 Ford F-250 4X4:
7.3 IDI with 120K on the clock:
ATS Turbo with waste gate:
Stage One Injectors (Oregon Injector Service):
Complete Return Fuel Kit (Oregon Injector Service):
DB2 Pump, cranked up with Cold Advance wired permanently on:
4” down pipe, 4” straight through exhaust stopping between cab and bed (no fuff on my stuff):
Torque Converter Lock Up Switch (On/Off/Lock-Up):
E4OD Line Pressure Controller (adjusted to fast/firm shifts):
4” lift w/Rancho shocks:
Big Fat Tires on custom rims:

Tows 1985 fully loaded heavy 28 foot RV (my house) everywhere:

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are prob getting sick of this type of thread, but here goes. I have a 92 f250 7.3. It has gotten hard to start, and after doing a search, I decided that an air leak was the most obvious culprit. I changed the o-rings on the fuel lines to and from the filter. It cured the prob about 80% of the time, but occasionally it still acts up taking 3 cycles of the glow plugs and a long crank to start, no does'nt matter cold or hot. There are no signs of fuel leakage anywhere. What should I be looking for next? Any opinions?

Thanks, Conan

Try draining the water out of your fuel filter, and maybe changing your filter while you are at it.

Marq

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin