Another E4OD

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
installed new solenoid pack today, did change things but....... still not working right. put in drive and takes off in 2nd and will not up shift unless I put gear selector in 2nd then back to drive, then goes into over drive. sorta like before but not locking up converter now. come to a stop, then take off, same thing. it will go into 1st if I put shifter in 1st gear. and od light turns on and off now, where before it stayed on so it did change. going to start chasing wires. any where to find wiring diagrams???

so now it sounds like you've restored power to the trans by using the correct solenoid pack and fresh connector but now the range sensor,aka= MLPS sounds like it's bad or just maladjusted.

when the od light is always on dim,it means the trans doesn't have power (and as you've learned,high gear starts in D go along with this.)
when the od light flashes it means there are codes stored.now do a scan and post up your codes.you'll probably get the range sensor out of adjustment code.....guessing though.best get the code.it's easy.do you have an obd1 scanner?

edit;
oh wait.yeah this makes sense.you probably left the 95-97 range sensor on the trans instead of using your old one.swap this over too and you'll probably be good to go.;)

shovelhead

Reaction score
range sensor is original/well the one off tranny that was in truck. pulled codes, 56, 22, 23, 82, 92 wot. cleared codes then checked again no wot, 56, 22, 23, 92. wow the 92 scares me, not sure which way to go now?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
To start. Scratch code 22. It doesn't apply here.

23 is a TPS code. You have this set correctly? There should be no glitches when moved from idle to full throttle.

56 is a TFT code This code combined with a 92 code (solenoid 2) says there is a problem with the solenoid pack or connector. Check the wiring. Fix the broken connector if you haven't done that yet.

82 code is a scratch.

95-97 TRS is the replacement for the old MLPS. They come as a kit to replace the old stuff. A DTRS is not compatible with a E4.

shovelhead

Reaction score
ok replaced solenoid plug, adjusted tps many many times. best I could get on tps was 1.18-3.98. all codes are gone except code 22& 92. did drive down the street and seems to be shifting through all gears. tried clearing code, still there. after it reads the two codes I get code 11, system pass???? sorta cornfusing.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DTRS = Digital Transmission Range Selector.

MLPS = Manual Lever Position Sensor.

The wire harness between the two are totally different. Different connectors also. Signal input to TCM.

shovelhead

Reaction score
only connector replaced was solenoid plug, all other plugs appear in good order. mlps is adjusted/lined up, if mlps is bad, would that throw the 92 ?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Code 92 is an issue with SS2. It could be shorting out, Could be reacting to slow. The TCM is see a problem with the voltage so it will throw a 92 code at you.

You could replace the TRS (MLPS) if you haven't done so. A failed TRS will give you a code 67. Other hints of a failing range sensor are odd shifting and the tranny going to neutral at speed.

shovelhead

Reaction score
ok, everything works now! what a pain in the ass!!! cant believe someone would build something so complex, relying on **** that is completely un related. now that it is working, just bought a complete running 5 speed f250 for the swap. might even install a manual fuel cut off. all I can say is WOW! thank you to all that helped me through the whole{ or should I say hole process} thanks again!!!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well what was causing code 92? did you find a break in the line/corrosion somewhere? do tell.

Last edited:

shovelhead

Reaction score
I pulled solenoid pack and double checked with vom, all was within specs from diagram in earlier post. reinstalled and rechecked codes. still had 22 and 11, 92 was no longer there? not sure what had changed? when I changed the plug, all connections were soldered and heat shrink sealed. had the plug on and off multiple times so ???????? anyway its working well and I can feel good when I sell after the swap.