And the Saga Continues - Need More Help

maniac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll bet ya that 2000 KW is close to a million miles if not over already.

Well its just over 700,000 now, it hasn't always had to work this hard, we are short a truck at this account, so we are doing the work of 3 with 2, hopefully we can get off of this run soon, $$$ is GREAT but it gets old in this part of the country real quick.

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
We have one truck that definitely has over 1,300,000 (and may actually have 2,300,000) miles on it (1979 International S1700, DT466), and another that has turned over so many times that nobody has the vaguest idea of the actual miles (1972 F-800, 361FT). And, I guarantee the miles are several hundred percent harder that 760 mostly-highway miles/day. I'm afraid to even think about how many engine hours are on the trucks (especially the IH).

We have one truck (2001 F-550, Jerr-Dan rollback deck) that will regularly go a week without being turned off. The trucks see city driving, some brutal overloading (I had a Chevy 3500 CC/DRW on the 550 once, with a slide-in in the Chevy...I'll eat my toolbox if I had less than 24,000lbs on that truck), curb hits, and lots of idling and no-load 1500-2000RPM running (for the PTO's). The 550 is the lowest-mileage truck, with 339,000 as of yesterday. It just had its first major breakdown, since Nate was just barely able to limp it back to the shop with what turned out to be a bad IP. Other than that, its only non-deer-related hook call was the alternator (not the factory one) seizing due to what was probably a manufacturing flaw.

My usual truck is a 1986 F-350...as of last month, it was in service for over 20 years (and Chuck still has the reciept from Ford for the chassis-cab). It has over 600,000 miles on it, and the 6.9 IDI still has the factory pistons, valves, bearings, and I think head gaskets. Chuck says he'll do a full frame-off restoration on it at 1,000,000 miles. :)

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
maniac said:
Why is this other Pete for sale?, and is the factory warranty still in place? lots to consider here.

The guy turns his fleet over @ 200,000 miles. I looked at it today. Good shape & runs very well. 193,000 on the clock. But it was a waste of time.

maniac said:
Sad to say its usually either the vehicle or driver who does you in, and as the older hands get out and retire off it wil be harder and harder to replace them simply because the money doesen't keep up with the hours and the newer drivers won't put up the BS that we older guys did, not a bad thing IMO, but it will make drivers harder and harder to find and to keep.

You must have been monitoring my cell phone today because the damn driver I just trained from knowing nothing about carhauling to be able to load a 10 car truck on his own.......decided "he isn't happy being away from home so much". What a ***** -cuss . So not only did the truck get me, so did the driver. I guess I'm considered "new school" as far as driver go, but damn it I bust my ass sometimes 18-20 hrs a day, for not much return on time invested. But trying to find a good driver/carhauler is close to impossible for the simple fact that men my own age seem to think the world owes them something & want top dollar before proving they're worth it.

Screw it. I'm going back to 1 truck until I recover some of the lost capital & find the right guy to drive. That may never happen!!

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
apextrans said:
You must have been monitoring my cell phone today because the damn driver I just trained from knowing nothing about carhauling to be able to load a 10 car truck on his own.......decided "he isn't happy being away from home so much". What a ***** -cuss . So not only did the truck get me, so did the driver. I guess I'm considered "new school" as far as driver go, but damn it I bust my ass sometimes 18-20 hrs a day, for not much return on time invested. But trying to find a good driver/carhauler is close to impossible for the simple fact that men my own age seem to think the world owes them something & want top dollar before proving they're worth it.

Screw it. I'm going back to 1 truck until I recover some of the lost capital & find the right guy to drive. That may never happen!!

Sorry to hear of all the problems.... but you're doing the right thing by cutting losses as much as possible and going the route to recover capital.

As for your statement I wholeheartedly agree.... our generation isnt worth crap when it comes to work ethic.. and the younger ones are even worse. There are days when I keep thinking to myself I was born in the wrong era. LOL LOL

Sure Im certified out the *****... but I tell employers that they pay me whatever they want to start... and if I prove my worth... then pay me top-scale..... I also tell them that if they play games... Im gone as well. Its worked out well for me in most jobs.... employer is happy and Im happy. Gee, honesty still works in some cases, hard to believe in this backstabbing world eh? ;Sweet

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
apextrans said:
The guy turns his fleet over @ 200,000 miles. I looked at it today. Good shape & runs very well. 193,000 on the clock. But it was a waste of time.

Train me for a class A, get me home every second weekend, pay me something reasonable, and I'll work for you until one of us retires.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Jarlaxle said:
Train me for a class A, get me home every second weekend, pay me something reasonable, and I'll work for you until one of us retires.

I'm serious, I'll keep that in mind. But right now I need to concentrate on dumping this Freightliner & recovering the money lost somehow. Where do you live? I see New England but where?

EMD-

I'm with ya 100% I have no problem paying top dollar to someone that's worth it, but I gotta be damn sure of it. I take the same approach with new customers. I'll match there current rate for 1 month, then it's my rates. Works most of the time.

I'm only 34 & have been big trucking for the last 6 of 'em, tow trucks since I was 18 & have worked hard for other people & harder for myself. I don't know anybody my age (in the trucking industry) that is willing to work the hours I do for the money I make. Not to say they aren't out there, but I don't know of any. I'm no super hero or anything, I just understand what it takes to make a buck & feed my family. Most of the guys my age want the money up front. Not at this outfit :draw

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
Apex, check your PM's.

And for the record, I'd be perfectly happy driving that beat-up FL. :) (As long as the heat works...it's 6 degrees here now...brrrrrrrrrrrrr.)

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Jarlaxle said:
Apex, check your PM's.

And for the record, I'd be perfectly happy driving that beat-up FL. :) (As long as the heat works...it's 6 degrees here now...brrrrrrrrrrrrr.)

:eek: :eek: :eek: I'll sell it to ya for exactly what I got in it. $59000 & it's yours. Oh, the heat works very well

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
apextrans said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: I'll sell it to ya for exactly what I got in it. $59000 & it's yours. Oh, the heat works very well

I meant I'd be perfectly happy to drive it if I worked for you.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
yeah, the heat. That's the one bright spot.

Oops. I thought you were gonna pull me out of the hole & take it off my hands. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7