Alternator ?????'s

redneckhouston

dodge killer
Reaction score
ok guys, has anyone installed a superdooty alternator on an OBS? The unit bolts up just fine but the problem i have is the plugs dont match, i have three wires going to one big plug that dont match and one wire going to another plug, the new alternator has only one plug for three wires, can i make this work?:thanks:

BJS

Reaction score
Don't know about the superduty alternator.. I know that the ambualance higher amp one for the 74-97 trucks will bolt on you just need longer bolts and possibly a longer belt.. the catalog specs a .5"longer belt or something like that.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is interesting, are you trying to put the SD alt into the OBS simply because you have one onhand or ???

redneckhouston

dodge killer
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
This is interesting, are you trying to put the SD alt into the OBS simply because you have one onhand or ???
well yes and no, i am doing it because mine went out and i have a sd one to use right now and later i can buy a bigger one for a sd, sd alt's are avalible up to 300 amp from the aftermarket

redneckhouston

dodge killer
Reaction score
does any one have wiring diagrams for a 95 and and a 01 , specificly underhood ? and bjs i posted the part # for the hose for the thermo stat hosing

Last edited:

BJS

Reaction score
redneck I got the part number from the other post, thanks

I can set you up with the wiring diagrams for the '95 but don't have the '01 though. I can scan them when I get home but don't have them while goofing off @ work

redneckhouston

dodge killer
Reaction score
well i think i maybe giving up on this for now, 5 days now running on just batteries is getting old. charge them every night...can go 100 miles before its a problem unless its dark then the headlights take to much power and my range goes down alot

dieselwiezil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i heard you were havin alt. problems with your truck. Dont know what kinda price I can get, you want me to try?

GraemeDiesel

Reaction score
Ok, am I correct that the wires hook up to the SD alternator fine, except that the SD lacks a place to plug in the lone small gauge wire?

I think that wire is there to link the regulator to the rectifier. The SD alternator may link the regulator and rectifier internally, and therefore not need that wire. Have you tried running your truck with the SD alternator? I think it may work that way.