Advice Needed- 1987 D60 and 5 Speed Swap

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Gents,

I am looking to pickup a 1987 F250 which appears to be rust free. It also has a Hypermax turbo on the 6.9l engine. It also has a 5 speed and dana 60 swapped into it. This is the truck I have been looking for for awhile since I believe it to be the best setup for long term usage! It's a man's truck.

What I am curious about is the fact that the 5 speed and dana 60 have been swaped in. When I get a chance to look at it what should I be looking for in terms of a hack job swap besides just palin old shoddy craftsmanship? this rig could use a new paint job but otherwise it's a sharp looking rig that's black with grey down the side....my favorite olor combo. The only downside is the red interior which is intact and not beat up.

Any thoughts or guidance from knowledgeable people?

Thanks!

Been goen awhile but I am looking ot get back into an IDI!!!!!

Thad

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if the truck is a factory 4wd D50 truck, a D60 conversion is a bolt-on and go. paying attention to some of the small details is still a good idea.
check out the transfer case front output yoke is one of the items that is often overlooked.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
if the truck is a factory 4wd D50 truck, a D60 conversion is a bolt-on and go. paying attention to some of the small details is still a good idea.
check out the transfer case front output yoke is one of the items that is often overlooked.

Not sure about whether it was a 4x4 from the factory. I would assume it was a 4x4 with the T-19 trans....but I will ask to be certain.

Thad

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Yes, but the owner specifically stated he swapped in the 5 speed and dana 60. Again a turbo'ed 6.9 is a beast...

Thad

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Make sure the track bar made it along with the D60 front. Sometimes people think that you don't need the track bar.cookoo After a good visual inspection, I'd try the 4wd out. There is always the chance of mis matched ratios.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.