about too make an impulsive buy...

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One owner, 87 6.9 F250 2WD, 6.9 factory engine rebuild in 97 at 200k miles, about 100k miles since, rebuilt tranny and ring gear (? what is that?). Body decent, some rust showing above each rear wheel Price is going to be under, maybe well under $2k. Who can talk me out of it or what should I look for?

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard 87 was a great year for the 6.9, but it is 2wd , which would be great if you lived much further south than you do

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It turns out to be the starter-flexplate gear, not an expensive part.
Yes, I know it is 2WD but I keep my 94 and I don't need two 4WD trucks.
It is AMAZING how much different the bricknose looks whn you are used to the 94 style.
Anyway, I took the truck out of the highway and it drives real smooth. Feels like a lot of power to me, I expected it to be a dog as an NA. It is "fast" off the line. I feel the difference with my truck only when stepping on it at highway speeds on a hill. It looks clean except for rot above both rear wheels. Tank selector switch is bad, he has been running on front tank. He modified the GP system. Tach is broken. I like the truck a lot. I am thinking of making it a daily driver, replacing my 82 Mercedes. Mistake? Endless work? My 94 is running perfectly now, so it can be the backup when this one is being worked on. The original owner is 81 and he clearly has taken good care of the truck. He showed me some of the receipts. The tranny went in recently. The engine went in as a factory rebuild in 1997 at a cost of $9700, he said becasue it was using excessive amounts of oil. The truck was purchased new for $16,400. He used it exclusively to drive to construction sites where he operated heavy machinery. We don't know the exact mileage since the engine replacement. The odometer reads 455k but he thought it was broken. What to do...

Attachments

• 87-nose.jpg
    87-nose.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 87-int.jpg
    87-int.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 87-rot.jpg
    87-rot.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 87-cab-lights.jpg
    87-cab-lights.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 4

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
I'd buy it. I have an '86 F-250 2WD and with good tires and 300 lbs of sandbags above the wheels I never get stuck while driving responsibly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online