94 factory tubo 7.3

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is the going rate for a 94 factory turbo 7.3? found a guy with a good running one for 1,200 without the turbo or 1,500 with. Seems a bit high, what do you think I should offer him. Not sure on the mileage. The truck was a salt truck with bad rust.
Thanks
Alex

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds a little high to me. Maybe $500.00 with the turbo. Reason for this offer is you really don't know till you "open it up" just how good it really is. Installing it and then finding out its full of water or just plain worn out is a ******.... Trusting the words of the seller is a tuff thing too....

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he has it sitting in the frame yet and i heard it run. seemed to run well with no strange sounds or smoke and it comes with the complete serpentine set up.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, is the 1200 for just the engine? If so, I agree with Gary, too much cash, I think most here would suggest you never go over about 600-700 even for a running engine, just a little more than core value because you just don't know till you dig into it. If it's for the truck even with the rusted out body, you can make some more cash off of some of the parts, especially if it's a 4X4 with a ZF-5 manual. The body should have some scrap value too, it might still be a little high but not as bad, especially if you can talk him down to 1000. Also take the oil filler cap off and run the engine, is there a lot of crankcase vapor there? If not that's a really good sign that it's a good runner and will remain so for awhile.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
$1200 is a very good deal for it if its running, you saw it run, you determined there were no issues with it via a compression test. $1500 with the turbo is also a good deal, thats $300 for the turbo kit. Even if the turbo is worn out $300 is a good deal for it if its complete.
We've bought several engines here in the last couple years and paid $1200 for each of them, none of them were worth their weight in iron. All of them turned out to be crap.
All I'm saying is you need to get real, if you need an engine, expect to pay $1000 for it at least.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sean is right, if you need an engine you're over a barrel and if you have a good idea that it runs well and doesn't have any obvious issues then you might have to spend more than what we are saying here. We've all seen people buy them on the cheap here but that's if you have a chance to shop around, and usually not factory turbo engines either. He's correct that the turbo is easily worth 300 even if it needs a rebuild provided all the parts are there. It is basically the same as the ATS 093 kit except for the smaller exhaust flange and crushed downpipe. Those issues can and have been remedied here.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I paid $78.50 for a long block 7.3 that had all the glow plug and injection system missing... So I knew that the cylinders were going to be wet and rusty... It sat outside on the desert. Owner told me "ise hus high miles on it... I drive back forth to alfamila in mexico".... So the price was fine.... Got it home and pulled both heads... Yeap... Rusted up... No problem.... Start truning it thru to "clean off some rust" with the rings.... Nope.... wont make 360 degrees so.... Try it the other direction.... Nope.... I hear a metal to metal clank.... Then noticed number 5 piston not moving.....:dunno Pull pan and find a broken rod....:mad:-cuss That mother****** threw a rod.... It nicked the bottom of the cylinder and broke off at the crank.... No other problems......:hail I sleeved that block and am running the wheels off that engine.... A member here told me I should have driven back to the guy and say.... "thanks man... I just painted it an installed it""......:angel: One gets what they pay for... In my case the guy plain lied to me but I still got a repairable engine... The rod didn't go thru the block....

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input now I have a better idea what it is worth. I don't really need another engine mine runs fine but this one is a factory turbo motor. I checked yesterday and it has 146,000 miles on the odometer. I might buy it for a spare. I will try to chew him down some though.
Thanks again,
Alex

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online