93 F150 4X4-5.0-AOD How to get more than 9 MPG outta this thing?

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I've had this truck for a coupla years and have tried and tried to get it to get 12-14 MPG, like so many others do.

New TB (w/TPS) ,Inj's, Exhaust, (Cat Delete) O2 sensor, Accel coil, wires, plugs.

Any suggestions?

Headhunter_5.9

there it is Johnny!
Reaction score
my first truck was one just like that except it was 2WD, and it was up around 15-17 MPG, I really never did anything to it. but after I had sold it I talked to the previous owner, a mechanic at the shop where we bought it and he had the lower end rebuilt prior to trading it back in?> for what ever that is worth.

sorry guess that isnt' much help either!

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
It's definately an AOD. It has the classic OD 2 1.

Quote from Baumans site,

"1992-93 E and F series trucks (those with AOD’s and not E4OD’s) contain the strongest production AOD transmissions. Included is the two-inch wide overdrive band (part of the Motorsport Wide Ratio Kit, or available as a separate conversion kit from Baumann Engineering for close-ratio applications, and highly recommended for full-throttle use of overdrive) and the now-famous "A" overdrive servo. "

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
That'd be the earlier AOD. It changed in 92, or there abouts. Look at the 92 an later Mustangs.

Valve bodies for 1992 cars have a different shift pattern ("P-R-N-OD-D-1", like an AOD) than other AOD-E/4R70W units ("P-R-N-OD-2-1"), because these cars had no Overdrive Cancel Switch

I stand corrected! It does have PRN(O)D1.

The TV cable is a dead give away though.

Last edited:

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you had the exhaust gases checked at various engine loads, have you tried moving the base engine timing, mass airflow sensor(just because it meets specs doesn't mean it is working properly), brain transplant? My brother-inlaws '92 5.0L 5 speed long box got 22mpg on the highway. 5 different '92 5.0L 150s, long boxes got 20-22 mpg, short boxes got 15-18 mpg regardless of trannys, all 4X4s. Obviously something in the air/fuel mixture management system is 1. sending an inaccurate signal, because it was replaced with wrong one/factory goof, not monitored by brain. 2. Brain has bad programing. What you need is a mechanic that understands the reason for and function of each component and how they effect the brains desicion making process. Have you checked your fuel pressure?