93 7.3 idi e40d randomly kicks down to passing gear

Bowhunter301

Reaction score
My 93 idi with e40d randomly kicks in and out of passing gear cruising at 45 to 55 mph any ideas? Thanks in advance for anyone who can give some input!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you'll first need to figure out whats going on for sure.if she's dropping a gear,down into 3rd or if the converter is unlocking.more than likely the converter is unlocking rather than a gear change.
is the od light on the shift handle flashing? if so,did you get the codes yet? when this happens at these speeds,do you notice a flickering of the speedo or tach just before it happens?

if this was happening to my trucks id for sure figure out first if it was the converter or a gear change (a gear change would be much more than just a couple hundred rpm difference.) then get the codes but if i noticed a flickering speedo,well if i did or not,the PSOM and the VSS would come instant first suspects to me given it's between 45-55 mph (im assuming all is fine outside,one way or the other of these speeds,but you know what you get for that lol.)

Last edited:

Bowhunter301

Reaction score
The OD light isn't flashing and the convereter has about 10,000 miles on it, I havnt noticed any flicker in the speedo or tach but the truck does rev when it happens. could it be my FIPL? closed throttle its measuring 1.21 and WOT it measure 3.8 I believe its supposed to be 4.5 at WOT