'84 300sd

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
'84 300sd

Found this down the road from my house, what do you think, is it worth 2800.
I need something a little more economical than the F-350 right now, just wondering.

John

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks nice from that one picture...any details on the car? How many miles? How well does the drivetrain operate? What works? What doesn't? Is the driver's side in as good of a condition? How's the interior?

I'm sure there are more questions, but that's at least a decent start...if the rest of the car's in as good of a condition as the passenger's side, and if everything works, $2800 doesn't sound unreasonable...

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
I haven't actually seen it up close, if I get a chance tomorrow I'll go have a look and try for a test drive, and try for my own pics all 4 sides and under hood.

Wife thinks I'm crazy and I'm out to prove her right :rotflmao

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jharvey said:
Wife thinks I'm crazy and I'm out to prove her right :rotflmao
I know what you mean...my mom thought I was cookoo for flying out to Texas to buy my 300D and bring it back here. OTOH, sometimes I wonder if she may be on to something... :D

These cars can be very economical, or they can be complete money pits...depends on how well the car's been maintained in the past as well as how badly you want everything to work as it should. From a fuel and a maintenance standpoint, my 123 is by a long shot the most economical car I've ever owned (but, for a broke college kid, that's not saying much ;) ). OTOH, the A/C and cruise control don't work, the seats are thrashed, my loving girlfriend put a couple of dents in the car -cuss and the front suspension needs to be rebuilt. The car still gets me from Point A to Point B, though, so I just keep running her...

Landmark

1989 DT466 Crew Cab
Reaction score
Looks nice in the picture. If the interior is decent and the running gear is solid I would say that is a good deal. I bought an '85 300SD for a parts car that has to have over 400,000 miles on it. The problem with it is, I drove it home and it still goes down the road so nicely I started driving it, I really need the parts from it but it won't quit! It's not as nice as my 560SEL but it gets me where I need to go on those rainy, muddy days or when they salt the road.
If driven carefully and if it is properly tuned and running right, that car should get close to 30 mpg. I have found that maintenence is really cheap. Check the vacuum lines really good, easy fix but can cause a lot of problems.

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Got a chance to go look at it and I must say that I wouldn't give more than 1800 for it. The interior is trashed, most of the switches and buttons are missing, speedo doesn't work and it stopped at 183k on the odo, the sunroof has been siliconed shut, more oil on the motor than in it and it's been flooded and wrecked. Plenty of scratches in the bad paint job.

But it did run and I thought my '95 7.3 was loud :rotflmao :rotflmao

Oh well I'll keep looking around.

Thanks for the input guys.

John

Attachments

• 300sd_1.jpg
    300sd_1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 300sd_2.jpg
    300sd_2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jharvey said:
Got a chance to go look at it and I must say that I wouldn't give more than 1800 for it. The interior is trashed, most of the switches and buttons are missing, speedo doesn't work and it stopped at 183k on the odo, the sunroof has been siliconed shut, more oil on the motor than in it and it's been flooded and wrecked. Plenty of scratches in the bad paint job.

:shocked:

My 300D (which doesn't have the double-firewall and the extra sound insulation that a 300SD would have) is bone-quiet compared to my IDI even before the muffler went bye-bye on the truck :D and I didn't think the 1st Gen PSD was THAT much quieter than the IDI. If it was THAT loud, unless it's in desperate need of a valve adjustment, it sounds like there's something wrong with the engine.

On top of everything else you described...forget $1800; I would consider the seller lucky to get $1000 out of it. There's a 300SD I know of that's in better shape than that car, and the guy's talking about giving to me...

Look at it this way, though :) the next car should be better!! ;Sweet

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Oh there will be somebody who comes along and gives this guy what he wants or close to it just to find out they are going to spend more to get it running right than they paid for it :oops:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Michael Fowler said:
There is nothing more expensive than a cheap ( or poorly maintained) Mercedes.
Keep looking.
Michael's adage is 100% on the money!! But,as P.T. Barnum put it, there's a sucker born every minute...as jharvey said, someone WILL buy that car. My condolences to whoever does...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
jharvey said:

Oh well I'll keep looking around.

Thanks for the input guys.

John

If it was loud, chances are the exhaust has a hole eithr in the front flex pipe or the junction at the back where the two mufflers split off, either way, no cheap fix, about $4-500 to redo the exhaust, and thats at the real cheap. ( that front flex pipe is $$$ and even having a mufler shop rig the rest is very time consuming, tight quarters)

--------Robert