7.3L Trans swap. 2001 Automatic and 1995 ZF5

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is just for curiosity sake. I am thinking of offering a guy a swap plus cash; my 1995 F250 7.3L 4wd ZF5 for his 2001 F350 SRW 4wd automatic. However, I would definitely rather keep the manual and I'm sure he'd rather have the automatic.
What I'm curious about is how straight forward would such a swap be?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you mean the trannies or the trucks?

Edit: Oh now I see. Gonna swap trucks, then swap trannies, A ZF5 going in the 2001 and the 4R110 going in the 95. The GEM's are not interchangeable between the two. The harness's between the two for the tranny, the 2001 has a DTPS that goes into the GEM and all the electronic circuits are different. A complete difference from 99.5 up and a change in 2002, no more GEM.

How about the driveline's? they are not directly a change fit. Whats your cab and bed compared to his?

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
While it can be done, it's way involved on those. If they were both SD or both obs, it'd be easier.
To run that trans in your current truck it would need his pcm. Easy right? Wrong. The harnesses changed in the years so you need the complete engine harness along with it. I believe the underdash harness will be needed also.
Now a few other things if that didn't scare you away already. It can bolt up, but I don't to put the zf6 in a obs, you have to swap the mounting plate on the engine, iirc. So may have to be done on the auto also.

Now all and all, those 4R100's are actually pretty good trans. Throw in a better cooler, maybe better tc and call it good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you mean the trannies or the trucks?

Edit: Oh now I see. Gonna swap trucks, then swap trannies, A ZF5 going in the 2001 and the 4R110 going in the 95. The GEM's are not interchangeable between the two. The harness's between the two for the tranny, the 2001 has a DTPS that goes into the GEM and all the electronic circuits are different. A complete difference from 99.5 up and a change in 2002, no more GEM.

How about the driveline's? they are not directly a change fit. Whats your cab and bed compared to his?
Trans.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya 79jasper, big changes, you posted 2 minutes after me while I was Editing.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I knew better than to think there really was any directness. Lol
That pretty well solves that thought.
To answer the question, because I think it's just rude not, they are both super cabs but OBS vs SD.
My whole reason for even thinking of it is what I ultimately want is a 4WD SRW F350 with a Manuel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Sure enough. Lol
I would do the trade. Then if you still want a manual, swap it in down the road. Then you can do the zf6.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would definitely be the best approach. I really do prefer the OBS style to the SD, but the SD does have its advantages. It already has the D60 and one ton suspension, and the extended cab has doors that open!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online

No members online now.