7.3 -> t19 clutch/flywheel question

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to get my truck back up & running so I'm going to install a 7.3 into my '85 with the original T-19 for now and look for a 2wd ZF5 later. Question is which clutch/flywheel set up should I use?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you're using the T-19 trans, stay with the T-19 clutch assy.
the same for the ZF. use the ZF parts.
in the past, others have mixed and matched.......results wildly vary, but labor hours are still labor hours.

Ford F834

Reaction score
You are going to need a 6.9L solid flywheel and the correct T19 clutch set. The T19 clutch has a pressure plate that mounts with 6 bolts instead of 8 like the 7.3L, so only a 6.9 L flywheel will work. Unfortunately when you convert to the ZF, the SMF conversion clutch kits that mount to the 6.9L flywheel with 6 bolts are obsolete. You will have to go back to a 7.3L flywheel and ZF clutch set when you find a ZF.

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are going to need a 6.9L solid flywheel and the correct T19 clutch set. The T19 clutch has a pressure plate that mounts with 6 bolts instead of 8 like the 7.3L, so only a 6.9 L flywheel will work. Unfortunately when you convert to the ZF, the SMF conversion clutch kits that mount to the 6.9L flywheel with 6 bolts are obsolete. You will have to go back to a 7.3L flywheel and ZF clutch set when you find a ZF.

Thats what I figured just making sure thanks!

TDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I am too late here but I snagged a LUK solid flywheel for 135$ for a 6.9 on Rock Auto. You just have to be patient and keep checking their website because it changes constantly, I was not 100% sure that it would be good quality flywheel because Rock Auto website is not detailed, when this made in Germany flywheel showed up I was amazed at the quality

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin