7.3 IDI intake heater...this weekends project

86SCLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all, as you can tell by the title, i made an intake heater of sorts this weekend. I didnt go crazy and make it super complicated, all i did was use the old hole for the CDR in the intake ( i am running a RDT) and JB Welded a nut in the hole that a ZD-9 glow plug screwed into. I havent tryed it yet as the JB Weld is still curing but im leaving my truck unplugged and its supposed to me -38 celcius monday morning so hopefully it will work good. Im going out to do the wiring right now so all i will have to do tonight is put the intake back togethor. I will let you guys know how the morning cold start goes tomorrow!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 53

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally!!! All of my old Oliver tractors (wakausha engines) have only intake heaters. No glow plugs. I have been so curious about doing an intake heater on it. They have big coiled up ones that go in an elbow.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just not sure a glow plug will be enough. The tractor ones are much larger and usually take 30 seconds of warm up time for them to fire. Just like these old trucks though, the faster you can spin them the faster they will start. Ill try to get a picture of a preheater tomorrow

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a question ...you jb welded a bung into the intake for your 7.3 thru the CDR hole ......on the pressure side of your intake . Your motor is turbo right ? Who is the manufacturer of the intake , ...the part your installing the glow plug in?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a question ...you jb welded a bung into the intake for your 7.3 thru the CDR hole ......on the pressure side of your intake . Your motor is turbo right ? Who is the manufacturer of the intake , ...the part your installing the glow plug in?
CDR's are generally pre-turbo...given how much pressure is generally in place between the turbo and the intake valves, I don't think a CDR would work properly if it were located post-turbo :)

OTOH, that could mean that there's too much space and air between the intake heater and the cylinders...and, I wonder if a 12 volt constant-duty glow plug might have worked better?

Interesting concept, though ;Sweet

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I would of used a intake heater for a 7.3 stroker.

86SCLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a turbo 7.3 the turbo is made by an almost unheard of company called CTS (canadian turbo systems) i think i have pics in my gallery. Im sure this could be done to other turbo systems as well as non turbo trucks. I mesaured and the glowplug intake heater deal is 7" from the intake on the turbo. I think that it is close enough but we will see how well it works tomorrow morning

86SCLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dieselcrawler, that is a great idea i didnt even know 7.3 strokers had intake heaters i though the 5.9 and 6.7 cummins were the only one

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
this is to help once it is started. they still have glowplugs. the OBS strokers don't have it. only 99-03

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what i meant was , the piece your putting the bung in looks like it mounts to the top of the intake inplace of the soup bowl. Am I right ? Because if so ..I need one , bad! It would make the pefect pressure adapter for my turbo! Who makes it? and Do you know where I can get one?

86SCLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That peice is bolted to the top of the motor and feeds the turbo with a silicone elbow, its actualy cast by CTS and they havent existed for probably 20 years

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well.....that sucks, it's exactly what I need. Oh well ...back to plan A...gotta make one But thanks for the info anyway, I hope your heater work for ya, keep us updated!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin