7.3 IDI & Allison MT643

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm collecting parts for a project truck and I'm seriously considering using a 7.3 IDI with an Allison MT643 transmission. I'm pretty sure the Allison has an SAE #2 bell housing. The question is, does the 7.3 have an SAE #2 (or #1) or some proprietary pattern?

Thanks,

Brad

Last edited:

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a really good question that I don't know the answer too. Tried to do some digging but I didn't come up with anything useful.

catman

Reaction score
I have the flywheel housing, flexplate starter for installing a allison behind a 7.3. I was considering putting one of the old 6spd overdrive allisons with a divorced np 205 transfer case ,but no time for another project.

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Catman, which Allison would that have been? I've found that the AT545 is an SAE #3 size and the MT643 (what I have) is an SAE #2. My MT643 is a 4 speed with torque converter lockup in 3rd (or was that 4th?!).

Anyway, are you interested in selling and if so what price?

Thanks,

Brad

catman

Reaction score
I do not have the tranny anymore, I still have all the engine stuff and yes I would sell if you are interested . I am in calgary alberta , I did have a hard time finding the stuff.
I purchased the stuff from a guy in British Columbia. I can not think of the model # right now but will find it and reply. They were used behind lots of big gas engines in p&d trucks and bus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online