6.9 to 7.3

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. But you might want to swap over the flywheel from your 6.9 if you can or else have the flywheel from the 7.3 rebalanced to match the one on the 6.9. Its been hashed a bunch.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Early production had a block prone to cracking when the block heater is used. If you do a search for "6.9 cracking" you will find the serial number where the blocks were changed to address the issue.

Probably the best year would be 1987, since those use the 7.3 style glow plug system and would be an easier install.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My theory is if the block hasn't cracked by now, it's not going to. I seem to be proving that one on a daily basis.

illinoisboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
confused

hey guys, a mechanic at the ford dealership here told, me that i cant put a 6.9 into my 94 with a zf5. it has a 7.3 now. has anyone put a 6.9 into a 94 or similiar year? i am stumped. if it can be done are there any modifications that need to be done? are the 6.9 and 7.3 blocks different? any help would be appreciated. maybe i should have kept my 95 PSD. -cuss
thanks!

ramon f350

Reaction score
My question is why would you want to go to the smaller motor what is wrong with your 7.3? I would think if your are looking at buying one they would be similar in price I havent priced them but that is my thinking. that is if the 7.3 wouldnt be cheaper since there are more of them around.

Ramon

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because the 7.3 was more prone to cavitation and dropped valves. To be fair the 6.9 was more likely to have bad glow plug issues and blow head gaskets. You never will see the benefit of the extra .4L on a daily basis, and the two motors are nose and nose with a turbo and some modifications especially. Its also garbage that you can't use a 6.9 with a ZF5. Ford made a few 87s with a 6.9 and a ZF5. Apparently they aren't the easiest to come by, but they do exist...and it can be done. Now is a good time to check on the condition of your flywheel. The DMF can be used and there are also options to convert to an SMF. I would use whatever you can get engine wise at a reasonable price. If you want 6.9, there is NO Reason not to do it. That mechanic is just reading the books...in real life this is done...but you should balance the flywheel on the 6.9 to the specs you need for that ZF5.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've just put a 6.9 into my 93 1/2. I've got 5,000mi on it so far. It was an easy straightforward swap.
Everything is just a bolt up, and I went with the serpentine belt from the 7.3, and the newer glowplug system. Mine is hooked to the E4OD auto, but it doesn't matter, it will bolt to the zf just fine. You do have to use the 6.9 flywheel and balancer with the 6.9 though, or apparently you can have problems.

illinoisboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks everyone

thanks for all the comments. as for the 6.9 being smaller, it doesnt matter to me arent the blocks the same size? is the difference in the 7.3 and the 6.9 in the way the heads are set up?

anyways, i found a truck with a recently rebuilt 6.9 with and ats turbo, the tranny went out and the guy doesnt want to put any more money into the truck. they are going to install the 6.9 with its flywheel, and use the glow plugs system, and belt pulleys off of my 7.3. for 1600. the shop is cutting me a deal because one of the guys that works for me, his cousin owns the shop.
they are going to guarantee the engine for 45 days. that should be long enough for me to make sure the engine runs well, uses no fluids, head gasket issues, etc..

my 7.3 is ******* oil and water mix through the turbo, and there is oil in the coolant, it smokes terribly, and has a dead cylinder. it also has a deep knock.
it is leaking fuel out the bottom of the IP too. whew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my fingers are tired!:eek:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a good deal.I have lay'ed the 6.9 balancer and flywheels beside a 7.3 and yes they are different numbers but they look exactly the same.