6.0 long crank first start of the day

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me preface this with the fact that this is the first 6.0 I've ever done any real work to. So this truck was brought to me by a friend from work in a not running condition, he'd taken it somewhere to have an oil leak repaired where they replaced the oil cooler, EGR cooler and valve and valve cover gaskets. They never could get it to run afterwards. In an effort to get it to run they replaced the ficm, engine harness, glow plugs, harness and controller. It then came to me in all sorts of disarray, ficm not bolted down, new EGR just sitting in the hole no hardware or seals, degas bottle and hoses missing, ebp sensor missing, intake duct and airflow meter laying in the bed for who knows how long. I had him buy all the missing parts and hardware, put it all back together and started from square one. Found that I was only getting 275 psi from the hpop as per the icp reading. Tried the brand new icp laying in the seat, no change. Replaced the stand pipes and dummy plugs (motorcraft) the ipr(motorcraft) which came out in pieces and there were 2 screen assemblies in there together which took some doing to fish out and a number 6 injector because it was showing shorted on the scanner. I also did fuel filters and a new cap for the engine mounted filter because it leaked. When I finished all this it tried really hard to crank but all it would do was spit and smoke. Turned out all the injectors on the right bank were not connected correctly when the harness was installed and once I rectified that the engine immediately started and runs very well. The problem is when you start it cold it turns and turns for probably 20-25 seconds before firing, once it fires it runs very smoothly and does not falter. I have monitored the high pressure oil reading while cranking and within 3-5 seconds it has more than the 500 psi required and 8 seconds in it's 1150 or more I've never seen it go higher than 1500 during cranking and it stays around 1100 at idle. I have not driven the truck other than moving it around in the driveway because it still needs work but I have to figure out this long crank before I will return it to him I don't want it quitting again. Sorry for the long post but I'm fairly certain all the details are necessary to find the issue. Thanks

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@SuperDave. Check glow plugs they are super reliable on the 6.0 but I have had several come to me that needed them also get new glow plug harness they always come apart when pulling from the head and they are only like $45 a side. Also the strap on glow plug. Barnes tool works but a modified die grinder wrench works better I'll see if I can find my latest one I made in the morning and take a few pics I usually bend just past 90* for the grabber and put a small handle on it out of a welding rod

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glow plugs, harness and controller are all brand new but I checked them anyway per your advice as well as running the system test my scanner does and everything comes back ok. I did finally get to drive the truck and found the turbo was not making any boost at all (unison ring rust welded to turbo body) so I've sent the turbo for repair/rebuild. In the meantime before I pulled the turbo I had to move it a few times and noticed it was cranking easier than before so I'm thinking it may have some stiction issues and after 2 years of sitting probably needs the oil and filter changed again. Thanks for the info and I'm all ears for any other advice you may have!

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah id do fuel and oil filters and a oil change with some a a stiction eliminator. In the oil and some fresh fuel thease engines are very picky

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the new turbo in and put back on, changed the oil and filter added a couple ounces of stiction eliminator and the truck is cranking cold like it did when hot before. Also seems to run much smoother and quieter, definitely impressed with the performance of it considering it's lived it's whole life (278k) with an intact and operational EGR system and otherwise completely stock. Definitely got more giddy up than my old turbo idi and despite what I've heard it's really not much more difficult to work on.