• Allison AT545

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • Dodge 47RH

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
Basically looking at either tranny in a stock (read as one without a lot of $ sunk in it) configuration. Will the 47RH work in a 1992 Topkick behind a 5.9?

Might be picking up a low-pro TK that has a 366 and a 545 in it, currently has a 24' box on it. Truck will end up being either a crew cab conversion with a donor cab from a '94 C3500 with a flatbed or I'll keep the standard cab and add on a ~60" flat top sleeper. Either way it'll have a 10' flatbed with a gooseneck ball and pintle hitch on the back.

I would like to (someday) repower with a 5.9. Not a mega power hotrod, just something that can pull my 4H gooseneck and fifth wheel camper. No mountains and I'm happy going 60-65 down the highway. Furthest trip I'll ever make is to TX to visit my daughter, again, pulling a fifth wheel.

Everyone says that the AT545's are junk and only good for around town stuff. I don't have the money to shell out for an AT1545 or a 3060. So, according to all the Cummins guys the only option is a 47RH so I can have OD and a lockup converter. But, they are all referring to light duty (2500 & 3500) applications.

So to sum up all the ramblings of a mania ccookoo , which transmission (in a stock take-out format) would be best in your opinion and why?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on something that big, a AT545 is your only choice. you will need to get the correct torque convertor to mate it up to the motor. otherwise, it's a bolt-on to the ass end of your diesel.

cj3006

Reaction score
Basically looking at either tranny in a stock (read as one without a lot of $ sunk in it) configuration. Will the 47RH work in a 1992 Topkick behind a 5.9?

Might be picking up a low-pro TK that has a 366 and a 545 in it, currently has a 24' box on it. Truck will end up being either a crew cab conversion with a donor cab from a '94 C3500 with a flatbed or I'll keep the standard cab and add on a ~60" flat top sleeper. Either way it'll have a 10' flatbed with a gooseneck ball and pintle hitch on the back.

I would like to (someday) repower with a 5.9. Not a mega power hotrod, just something that can pull my 4H gooseneck and fifth wheel camper. No mountains and I'm happy going 60-65 down the highway. Furthest trip I'll ever make is to TX to visit my daughter, again, pulling a fifth wheel.

Everyone says that the AT545's are junk and only good for around town stuff. I don't have the money to shell out for an AT1545 or a 3060. So, according to all the Cummins guys the only option is a 47RH so I can have OD and a lockup converter. But, they are all referring to light duty (2500 & 3500) applications.

So to sum up all the ramblings of a mania ccookoo , which transmission (in a stock take-out format) would be best in your opinion and why?

SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE GOING TO REBUILD
THE TRUCK ?
DOES THE 466 RUN ? THEY ARE ONE OF THE BEST
MD TRUCK ENGINES AROUND !!
THE 545 TRANNY IS NOT JUNK !
IT IS OLD SCHOOL WITH 4 GEARS , NO OD
NO LOCK UP TC !

IF YOU PUT A 5.9 WITH A 47RH IT WILL
WORK, THERE WILL BE A LOT OF WORK
TO PUT IT ALL IN !!

YOU COULD FIND A OLDER BROWNING
THAT WILL HAVE OD , THEY HAVE 3 GEARS !!
THEY WOULD INSTALL BETWEEN THE 545
AND REAR END , THEY ARE A MANUAL
GEAR BOX AND WOULD WORK WELL
WITH WHAT YOU HAVE !!

EVERY ONE HAS THERE OWN OPINION
AS TO WHAT THEY LIKE !!

EVER THINK OF GOING TO MANUAL
TRSANNIES WITH OD?

cj3006

Reaction score

SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE GOING TO REBUILD
THE TRUCK ?
DOES THE 466 RUN ? THEY ARE ONE OF THE BEST
MD TRUCK ENGINES AROUND !!
THE 545 TRANNY IS NOT JUNK !
IT IS OLD SCHOOL WITH 4 GEARS , NO OD
NO LOCK UP TC !

IF YOU PUT A 5.9 WITH A 47RH IT WILL
WORK, THERE WILL BE A LOT OF WORK
TO PUT IT ALL IN !!

YOU COULD FIND A OLDER BROWNING
THAT WILL HAVE OD , THEY HAVE 3 GEARS !!
THEY WOULD INSTALL BETWEEN THE 545
AND REAR END , THEY ARE A MANUAL
GEAR BOX AND WOULD WORK WELL
WITH WHAT YOU HAVE !!

EVERY ONE HAS THERE OWN OPINION
AS TO WHAT THEY LIKE !!

EVER THINK OF GOING TO MANUAL
TRSANNIES WITH OD?

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
The trucks has a 366 GAS motor in it not the 466 DIESEL. Lol, I would keep a 466. No manual trans for this one. Wife has had two shoulder surgeries and can't handle the shifting. I would like to learn more about this Browning... Do you have any more info you could share? I'm firing up Google now!

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
I've learned a lot in the last 3 hours. GV and US Gears are the two main competing companies for the current auxiliary trans market. GV doesn't recommend their unit for my particular application. They say it's too heavy. I shot off an email to US Gear to see what they say. I looked into the Spicer built ones but they are getting older and harder to find. If I could find a cheap one though it'd be worth it even though I would only be using the direct and over. I may start up a new thread to address some of the brownie box related questions. Good sidebar though.