2004 / 2004.5 differences??????

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into purchasing a 2003 or early 2004 2wd Dodge Ram quad cab 2500 long bed with a 6 speed hand shaker for my business. Don't want a 2004.5 or up.

How do you tell the difference between the 2004 and the 2004.5 models.

Mabey a dumb question but I've been searching the net all day and can't find this info.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tonka-
what's the reason for getting away from the Ford?

Trucks running great and getting the job done but killing my bottom line on fuel and I only drive 62 - 63 MPH on the freeway as it is, just kicking back and enjoying the ride. I'm making a profit and have all the freight to run I can handle but not nowhere near as profitable where I want to be..... Yet.
  1. Parts departments gouging on pricing way above MSRP
  2. Service departments trying to gouge way above the estimates (tried to charge me $650 for putting in 2 batteries, the tow and a block heater cord after telling me it was gonna cost $443 and then knocked it back to $469 when I shook my head no when the cashier asked for $650
  3. **** poor fuel economy that's eating deep into my profits especially when running Canada like I like too.
  4. Lower my GVWR so I can have a wider selection of freight and haul larger trailers that have GVWR up to 17k instead of the 13K I can tow now with my trucks GVWR of 13K without having to pay out the $$$ for my class A I let lapse years ago. Just getting around a stupid technicality with the DOT that doesn't make sense even though I'm always under the actual weight of 26K that I am plated for.
  5. Discussions with Bean's shop, Dave at Swamp's and a few other well respected diesel performance shops today that all say I'm basicly pooched for economy with an F350 6.0 automatic 4wd CC dually evenwith the 3.73 gear ratio I have which is the only thing going.
  6. Talking with several other Drivers, safety department and recruiting department where almost everybody that had a 6.0 in a Ford got ****** mileage, lots of problems and switched to Dodge or Chebby.
  7. I won't buy a chebby
  8. Seems like everytime I get a newer Ford my fuel economy goes down 3 - 4 MPG....... I'm frigging scared to buy a 6.4 with the twin turbos and all of that other high dollar and epa crapola on it.
  9. I've been put out of business because of bad fuel economy with a big truck...... TWICE...... It ain't gonna happen again. Talked to several dealers today about taking a prospective truck out for a couple hundred miles to check economy before I purchase it and none had a problem with my proposal of them starting me off with a full tank and I'll return it full in about 4 hours. Gotta get the next one right, I ain't buying and hoping I do OK with the next one.
I've been a die hard Ford man and have owned 6 Ford trucks and 2 Ford cars over the last 22 years but they need to pull their head out of their @zz before I buy another...... especially a new one.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oic.
My thing is that I hate vehicle payments. you just got into this one and you're going to take a hit getting out. there's no doubt PSD's get bad mileage and each newer motor gets progressively worse.
Just one question though, how long do you have to drive before you break even from all this capital outlay? I know you're not in the best shape healthwise and that weighs in heavily on how much driving time you have left in you.
don't get me wrong, I'm not discouraging you from making the change....just seeing if you've got all the issues covered.;Sweet

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
With the cash outlay and depreciation on a new(ish) truck you may be better off getting a slightly older 24-valve truck. If you can pay off teh older Dodge sooner, you will still have depreciation but no note to worry about. Just a consideration I'd throw out.

I have a neighbor that has a welding shop. He recently bought a new F350 DRW 4x4 with teh 6.4L TT and auto. He said that the truck will pull and pass everything but a fuel pump. Towing a trailer with some steel on it at 80 and he got about 9mpg. No way I'd own anything but a 7.3.

Anyway to answer your question, check the glove compartment sticker for the engine code. I think the ETH code changed with the '04.5 Cummins 600 (I could be wrong here.) Also, wasn't the turbo changed from the HX35 to a different turbo with the '04.5 Cummins 600? I know that the '03 Cummins kept the HX35 from the 2nd Gen 24v trucks.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TC

I'm in the '06 Ford right and am not upside down in equity, need to trade it soon before I rack up too many miles though... Paid $28k, owe $20k, KBB trade in value right now with 110k miles in good condition is $21k.

Need a 3/4 ton or 1 ton to pull my own travel trailer so I really don't consider the truck as part of the cash outlay for starting the business, just used what I had. Other than that I am only about $5k in debt on the credit cards so I'm not buried.

My health is holding well, this isn't too ******* the body as the trucks ride fairly well and the only physical work is hooking up the trailers, been taking long runs so I only do that a couple times a week. Besides I only have to pull one load a month to keep my lease current so I only work as hard as I want to which is why I chose this business. I do appreciate the concern an I am in the position to stop if I have too but I just ain't ready to sit in my rocking chair waiting for the grim reaper yet.:angel:

Rebel, I have to have a 5 year old truck or newer to start with. Once I have it I can keep it as long as I like. Besides, I use this to pull my own family around with our 28' TT too, looking for about a $21k truck under 75k miles...... something I consider affordable even if I quit the business. BTW, I'm liking the company and the job so far, seem to treat their drivers pretty well, tell it to you straight up good or bad and have more than enough to keep me as busy as I want to be. They will politly ask drivers to help them out on HOT units but do not force anything on anybody.

Thanks for the info and keep your head down, getting back home is coming soon, don't lose focus over there.

Me I gotta get out of this hotel room and get hooked up to a 44' Park model travel trailer now, good news is these are light with a GVWR of only 10k so I'm legal....... Best part is this ones getting me paid nicely for the trip home:D ........ Gonna take a week off and chase momma around the house for Valentines day-Showtits :love:

Last edited:

Whit

Reaction score
04.5 has 4" exhaust turbo to tailpipe................has a touch more HP too

not alot of differences that I know of

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
04.5 has 4" exhaust turbo to tailpipe................has a touch more HP too

not alot of differences that I know of

Thanks. One I found out about that I don't like is the 3 injection events which is not good for economy........ it's the start of more emmissions BS that I'm running away from.

On a positive note I got permission from the company to bend the rules a little and purchase a clean, low mile '02 24 valve that I can then run forever once it's on:D

Whit

Reaction score
Thanks. One I found out about that I don't like is the 3 injection events which is not good for economy........ it's the start of more emmissions BS that I'm running away from.

this all started with the comonrail system in 03 and up.....same system of the Dmax and Stroke as well...............its the only way they can meet the new emmissions

you will be happy with the 02...........but DO get a fuel pressure gauge....its manditory

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this all started with the comonrail system in 03 and up.....same system of the Dmax and Stroke as well...............its the only way they can meet the new emmissions

you will be happy with the 02...........but DO get a fuel pressure gauge....its manditory

Thanks for the advise on the '02.... I do know why too.... $$$$$$

From what I found so far is that the 03 & 04 common rail was only 2 injection events where the 04.5 went to 3.

Looking for a a nice low mile '02 quad cab, hand shaker, long bed 2wd 2500 is gonna be a tough order to fill but it can be done.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Closest one is 650 miles away, rest are 1000 - 1800 miles from me. Missed one part.......... Low mileage.;Sweet

Been searching Auto Tader site hard, gonna look at ebay tonight and see what else is around here

I know it's low for the Cummins but I'm looking under 75k miles. Finding some nice really low mile '03 - '06 out there at really nice prices but most everything local on the east coast has a slush boxs instead of a hand shakers...... Gotta check them out before I totaly give up on autos though, but really leary of them.

90CampRam

Hey, Try Kijiji.com ------ Its a online classified. You can search any city in any state.. its the american counterpart to the kijiji.ca-- canadian webpages-- Thats where i found the deal on mine.

Taker cool

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828