1998 4700 dt466E

Craige

Reaction score
Hello guys....!
I am thinking of buying an 1998 international 4700 DT466e. I will be using it to haul 4 wheelers and a suburban 4x4 on the bed and pull my 6k camper behind it. Kind of like a toy hauler just a little different angle Plus I will be using around town to move heavier stuff like backhoes when the need arises. My question is about the power. IT is 195hp and is an automatic. I would like to be closer to 300hp for the long hills around here and just all around easier hauling. Will the tranny hold up or should I try to find a manual trans, I have driven many with manuals but never an auto. What will i need to due to up the power and how much can I safely get out of it? Any help is appreciated. Suggestions on comparable trucks that may be better is also appreciated.Thanks in advance.!

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
Search thru the Medium duty posts there are several times this has been discussed. The 195 Horse will move most anything you have. Which Automatic transmission does it have?

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
How much you can safely get out of it depends on how much you want to spend. Getting 300hp is as simple as injectors and mods to the turbo. If you have an Allison AT545, you might as well leave it at 195hp. If it's the MD3060, or the newer 2000 series, it'll take it. The trans is the holdup, not the engine. You could make 450hp with it, if you had a good trans & rear end.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online