1991 F250 2wd to 4x4.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do a 4x4 swap to my newly purchased 91 F250 XLT LARIAT 2wd, I'm buying a dana 60 front setup for $400 from an 89 F350 4x4 crewcab. I'm getting everything I need from the 89 including the t-case. As for boxing the frame, the front of the 89 4x4 frame is identical to my 91 2wd frame....The front shackle hangers have a bracket that goes on the inside that the mounting bolt goes through....I've heard about the frame needing to be boxed before but when I went to look at the 2wd and 4x4 they looked exactly the same? I also looked at my freebie 96 F350 2wd frame and it too looked the same as the 4x4 frame? Is this the case or am I blind?

I'm not sure what's in the dana 60 for gearing, but my buddy who has the truck is pretty sure it's 3.55's and that's what I need to match the rear diff in my truck. I'm going to pull the 60 out, install new brakes, balljoints, u-bolts and etc...Look it over really good to make sure it will go as smooth as possible and I plan to do the swap before my MVI runs out at the end of Sept so I won't have to waste any money to the 2wd front end.

My truck:

You must be registered for see images

The donor parts:

Ironhead79ca

Reaction score
2wd to 4x4 conversion

I am considering converting a 2 wheel drive 1987 F250 with a 6.9 and C6 to 4x4. How did your conversion go? Anything to watch out for?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Mine went well, no issues so far and I use my truck like it was mean't to be used....Towing and plowing snow....Zero issues with the D60. Just take your time measuring everything before you start drilling holes and take as many measurements and pics of the donor as possible before you start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online