1989 Nav S1600

Bustin Loose

Reaction score
Hello all, new member here. I came by way of this site from reading posts from those who have done it before me; converting the ubiquitous moving truck into living space. I will be full timing in it and I'll be insulating it for cold weather. I will not be parking a car inside or towing one.

It's been a loooooooooooong time since I've worked on anything and I'm disabled now, so much of the mechanical things will have to be done by a mechanic. I don't know much of anything about MDT's, all I have is 15 years of driving semi's. At least I can handle a lot of the interior/conversion work.

Sometime this week(I think tomorrow) I'm going to look at a 24' I "think"(can't see any orange in the pics) was a U-Haul at one time. It's a 24' box with a standard Nav 7.3(212k miles on it), 5 speed, air ride box and Hydroboost brakes. So far it looks as if everything is still stock with no replacements or rebuilds(aside from the normal wear and tear items) except that the a/c that was converted to R134a and the carrier bearing(bearing done last year). So far it "reads" okay but I'll know better once I see it.

I want to be able to rock the highway at the speed limit and climb hills without clipping my toenails on the fan. I'm not afraid to change things out to make this happen, I just have to watch the budget because I still have to make it liveable. I just don't want to have to listen to Screaming Jimmy Jr and exhaust myself in the process. I'm having difficulty prioritizing what I should do but I think the transmission will be the start.

1) I have to admit that I have never been able to shift that kind of transmission with anything resembling "skill" so it must be replaced. I would like to know if there are transmissions that would work without the swap becoming too much of a hassle. I'm interested in chucking that bench seat, installing some swivel captains chairs and putting in an Eaton/Fuller Roadmaster 10 speed if that would work.

Would the compressor for the air ride also be able to handle the shifting requirements too? I considered an automatic(my arthritic knees would thank me for that) with a floor shifter but that seems like it would become a real pain to convert and I can't justify the cost at this time. Would any changes have to be made to the clutch and it's workings?

2) I'm assuming I'd need another rear end for this. What should I be looking for? The current owner said it's "low geared" whatever that means to him, and it's max speed is 65 mph.

3) I'll be having the fuel tank pulled and cleaned out and inner parts replaced regardless of what I do to the engine.

4) The engine: I've been reading the cautionary warnings about turning up the screws, pyrometers and turbos. Short of a complete rebuild I'm pretty much open to any of it as long as I'm not destroying the engine in doing these things. From what I understand Mobil 1 synthetic oil has been used in this engine for quite some time so I'm not sure how that might affect any considerations to boost performance such as installing a turbo.

5) I'd like to get more air into the engine compartment as well as help the aerodynamics a bit. Is a hood swap possible to one of those newer ones that are vented and curved rather than what's on it now? How difficult would this be to do?

I guess that's it for a start. I didn't mean for my first post to be such a long one. I'm open to any suggestions, links and ideas. I'm in Springfield, MA if that makes a difference. Thanks!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome.
you're in luck. Hypermax makes a "bolt-in" turbo kit for the S1600. get one while you still can.
also, change out the IP to a ford pickup IP so you can pick up a few more rpm's before the limiter kicks in.

Bustin Loose

Reaction score
Hi Towcat and thanks for the response.

I was looking at this:

http://www.gohypermax.com/ProductDisplay.aspx?ID=4b0f9c4b-c443-4f6c-86e6-923cb9edcee1

However, it says it's for a truck with a 5 speed and one of the first things getting replaced is the 5 speed. I'm unsure of transmissions I can use but I'm hoping I can use a 10 speed. It's one of the reasons I posted here to get more info. Would this turbo kit still work without the 5 speed?

I'm unsure what you mean by an "IP". I'm new to this class of truck and other than driving the bigger ones and being able to identify some parts, know very little about diesels and Fords in general.

I'm assuming the "get one while you still can" means another manufacturer will stop making them soon...

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
By IP he means the injection pump. The IH version is governed at a lower rpm than those on the ford pick ups. So switching to a ford pump will put the governor at 32-3300 rpm's where as the IH pump is at 2700 or 2800.

Bustin Loose

Reaction score
Ah great, I read something about that in a thread here somewhere.

Is that a relatively easy change or will adjustments need to be made in other areas as well? Will the injectors also need to be replaced?

Thanks! Learning as I go...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Towcat and thanks for the response.

I was looking at this:

http://www.gohypermax.com/ProductDisplay.aspx?ID=4b0f9c4b-c443-4f6c-86e6-923cb9edcee1

However, it says it's for a truck with a 5 speed and one of the first things getting replaced is the 5 speed. I'm unsure of transmissions I can use but I'm hoping I can use a 10 speed. It's one of the reasons I posted here to get more info. Would this turbo kit still work without the 5 speed?

I'm unsure what you mean by an "IP". I'm new to this class of truck and other than driving the bigger ones and being able to identify some parts, know very little about diesels and Fords in general.

I'm assuming the "get one while you still can" means another manufacturer will stop making them soon...
best thing to do is call hypermax and ask them the questions. they are the final word.
the injection pump should have you maxed out at 3800 rpm with the pickup pump and no it's not an adjustment matter, the spring is changed out.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Towcat, mine starts defueling somewhere between 32-3300. I don't think I've ever personally seen one go higher. Is it that I just get lucky enough to see only worn out pumps?

Bustin Loose

Reaction score
I got a response back from Hypermax but I think I'm going to have to call. He brought up Fords but I specifically asked my questions about the IH/Nav kit.

I'm assuming I would be installing the kit(if things will all play nice together) AND having the new IP installed as well. Any recommendations on a pump/part no.s or are there more than one to consider?

I did buy the truck and I will have to swap out the 5 speed. It's a great 5 speed, nice and tight. I just can't shift them without having to slide down the seat to push the clutch in far enough, HOPE I catch the gear properly then get back up the seat to see over the dash again. Being vertically challenged has it's limits and not being able to see is one I don't want to push.

Is there an Allison automatic that could match up?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online