1988 E350 w/Gear Vendors Need Help

Crayfish88

Reaction score
1988 E350, Hypermax Turbo, C6 transmission seems to be leaking into the GV and coming out of the breather of the GV. The transmission is running dry and the GV ends up over full. Does anyone know if the transmission and GV are supposed to be swapping fluids? Could it be rear tail seal?
You must be registered for see images attach

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. I thought I was the only guy with an '88 IDI van with a hypermax turbo and GVOD.

As for the fluids question, they shouldn't be swapping. IIRC, GVOD customer service told me to only run synthetic Lucas gear oil. The C6 should be running Dex/Merc (coincidentally, I just looked that up earlier today). The tailshaft housing shouldn't be transferring fluids like that, so you have a major issue with a tranny seal.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take more photos of the leaks. My suspicion is the tranny is leaking and it's blowing back on the GVOD. As far as I know, my GV doesn't have a breather either.

Crayfish88

Reaction score
I opened the fill on the GVOD twice and half a quart came out both times. On the top of the GVOD there seems to be a breather there’s tranny fluid coming out of it. The only way I was able to see it was with a mirror.
This van is new to me I bought it in ID last month and just drove it back to NM. One of the reasons I bought the van is because it had GVOD on it.
Thanks for your input. I’ll try to take some pictures of it tomorrow.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
iirc the C6 has no barrier in the adapter to keep fluids from entering the GV. the seal on the GV is the only barrier I know of. there is a rubber doughnut on the trans output shaft that "acts" as an oil slinger.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should really call Gearvender in El Cajon CA. Their customer service is really good, but resist their insistence to replace your gearvender unit entirely. They are always selling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online