1984 Diesel Ranger

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decided to post this here first so that it hopefully finds a home and doesn't get sent to scrap.

1984 ford ranger
5 speed manual (4 speed seems to be what most people have)

$500

I'm not really sure how to describe this. For starters the truck body and frame are completely shot. Don't even think about attempting to save either of them. I patched the drive side frame rail 10 years ago, and its only gotten worse. Cab has zero floor left in it. So basically i'm selling an engine and transmission wrapped in a body. This truck has mostly sat the last 9ish years as I've moved around a lot once i went to college/adult life. We did drag it down the road and get it to start and run this last fall. It ran pretty poorly (lots of dark grey smoke). I'm guessing its a bad fuel issue because this fuel is over 10 years old at this point. But i don't know for sure. It ran enough for us to back it half on the trailer before i stalled it.

When i first bought the truck i managed to locate and install a reman water pump and a new clutch. Other than that i drove the truck exactly as is.

One other mod is the fuel filter. That fuel filter is off of a john deere 40 series tractor (pretty sure its a 40 series).

I mostly think this would be a good parts vehicle for someone that already owns a diesel ranger with this engine. Parts are pretty hard to find, and the 5 speed manual would be a good swap.

Not that it matters but i did dyno this truck and it put out 31HP and 75 Ftlbs to the wheels. The video is up on youtube.

You must be registered for see images attach

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm only about 150 miles west of there snd would like to check it out, when are you usually available?

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm only about 150 miles west of there snd would like to check it out, when are you usually available?

I'm usually home by 3:30PM est during the week (check with me the day before though). Also this Saturday i'll be around for most of the day. I hydrolocked my idi this past Sunday so i'll probably be working on getting it pulled this Saturday.

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I'll be in touch, I've got 2 parts trucks- both '85' F250's with good 6.9's in them if you need anything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86