1 Reason to keep IDI Alive

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this is interesting and one good reason to keep IDI's alive an kickin some hardcore but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v36MCcRPRTc&mode=related&search=

Almost like those little **** bang POS screamer cars with flame thrower exhausts using spark plugs to ignite unburnt fuel.

That's old news, that vid was posted here about a month or 2 ago.

IIRC It happend 3 times out of the first 8000 2008 model trucks they sold and Ford has already issued a recall to correct that.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regeneration mode for the particulate trap and catalytic conv. right? Wonder if it would really hurt anything or just be scary...I was more worried about that hard knocking noise I heard.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regeneration mode for the particulate trap and catalytic conv. right? Wonder if it would really hurt anything or just be scary...I was more worried about that hard knocking noise I heard.

IIRC One started a grass fire which is what got Fords attention. The knocking is an injector feeding that fire. What I understand is that a reflash of the Puter was all that was needed to stop that problem.

Was talking to the dealership I bought my Superduty from about the '08 6.4TT PSD a couple days ago and they are hearing a lot of positive feedback from people who already have put 50,000 - 60,000 miles on them.

Have one neighbor that's been driving an '08 F-450 dually pickup for a few months now pulling 3M #16 cars for Roush Racing all over the country and he's loving it.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
IIRC One started a grass fire which is what got Fords attention. The knocking is an injector feeding that fire. What I understand is that a reflash of the Puter was all that was needed to stop that problem.

Was talking to the dealership I bought my Superduty from about the '08 6.4TT PSD a couple days ago and they are hearing a lot of positive feedback from people who already have put 50,000 - 60,000 miles on them.

Have one neighbor that's been driving an '08 F-450 dually pickup for a few months now pulling 3M #16 cars for Roush Racing all over the country and he's loving it.

Its good to hear that the new 6.4 is having positive feedback. My parents are really considering a new 08 F-350 CC 4x4 6.4 powerstroke. They were half tempted to bring one home tonight :eek: ;Sweet .

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say this...good feedback and all...I still like the old IDI. For the price of an '08 I could at least get a good start towards a house. Diesel Power Mag profiled one in the May issue and they had good feedback but it was listed at 53K bucks, which is more than any vehicle any of us have ever had. I have a feeling they will be a hit.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say this...good feedback and all...I still like the old IDI. For the price of an '08 I could at least get a good start towards a house. Diesel Power Mag profiled one in the May issue and they had good feedback but it was listed at 53K bucks, which is more than any vehicle any of us have ever had. I have a feeling they will be a hit.

I like the old IDI engine myself. Actually seriously considered putting a Turbo IDI in the Superduty if the PSD needed to be replaced when I bought it.

Price is waaaaaaaay beyond my budget but hopefully all goes very well with them for when the day eventually comes for me to get another "new to me" used truck. It's the only reason I try to keep current on what's happening with it.

For the price of a fully loaded F450 @ $60k we could have paid our place off:eek:

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Yikes.For the price tag of a brand new Crew Cab dually I could buy a matching IDI truck,Put a brand new engine,BTS tranny,new drive shaft and U joints,Brand new rear end,New Paint,Tires,Aluminum wheels and have enough money left over to do the exact same to a second truck and a down payment on a nice house down here........Or Buy all 3 body style trucks and totally overhaul everything and have a matched set......