01 f150 spark plug problem!

tractorman86

Reaction score
my dad has an 01" ford f150 with the 5.4l, he pulled into the drive and it started chugging, he asked me to look at it. so I started it and it had a :fart !!!!! popped the hood and it popped the #6 sparkplug out :eek: isnt there a special tap to repair the threads?:confused:

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Yes, there is a special tap. From what customers have told us, ford will tell you you need a new engine or head.They apparently do not have a ford special tool for this :rolleyes: Most tool companies do (mac, cornwell etc) and there are two different tools, a long one and a short. One of them won't work on the difficult to access cylinders. I think the long one.
Enjoy
James

tractorman86

Reaction score
cool we have a matco and a snap-on truck that deliver to our shop. what is it called? thanks for the help

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
Heli coil is what you need the kit should come with a bit tap locker thread repair coil. They work preety good should also be able to get the tool at Napa or any other parts store

tractorman86

Reaction score
thanks again guys got it tapped out and helicoiled! just need the new coil to come in and it is good as new!

tractorman86

Reaction score
i know its been a while but gotta reopen this. we have had to do this to EVERY CYL and a few times on some(DONT EVER LET ANYONE ELSE DO THE SPARKPLUGS ON THESE TRUCKS THEY CAN STRIP OUT WAY TOO EASILY:backoff ) THE TRUCK IS NOW IN THE SHOP GETTING NEW HEADS:puke: ! sorry had to vent it is very frustrating.

LOGANSTANFORTH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive had it helicoiled 3 different times on different plugs at the local ford dealership on my moms 2001 4x4 5 speed 4.6 truck, 169 bucks each time with the head o nthe truck, the spark plugs that the previous owner put in at 72k when we bought it were too short, we got the truck in 2004 with 72K and now 3 1/2 years later it has 160K. yeah i know we drive alot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online