zf5 swap

haubert

Reaction score
I have a 93 7.3idi swapped out the e40d with a zf5 also installed the single mass flywheel clutch conversion kit. getting ready to instal the clutch brake assy. my question is im not sure if theres a particular slave cyl that I need for the single mass. I have a master cyl slave assy from a 91 and one from a 95 power stroke any ideas thanks

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
No, all the IDI manual's use the same slave, T18/T19/ZF, and flywheel doesn't matter, same slave.

I'm not sure, (no personal experience here), but I believe the early PS stuff works as well.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, all the IDI manual's use the same slave, T18/T19/ZF, and flywheel doesn't matter, same slave.

I'm not sure, (no personal experience here), but I believe the early PS stuff works as well.

sorry buddy im gonna have to shoot you down on this one!

there are 2 different styles!

one is a U shape, thats held in by a bolt, like the one that came off my T-19, and there is another one that has a catch on the back side.
i made the mistake of using the U shaped one on my ZF5 with the other style.
the slave will pop out if you do not drill it and install a bolt.

i drilled the ear with a 5/16 bit and installed a bolt and it has not happened again.
these are specific to the trans itself, the fly wheel dont matter.
both will work, one with a lill bit of modifying.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Stock-C...ar:1990|Make:Ford&hash=item20c15b2c3a&vxp=mtr
^^ thats the only slave i could find....

look closely at the ear for this zf5.
https://images.search.yahoo.com/ima...yhs-mozilla-001&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001#

Last edited:

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
I'm not sure I follow, none of the IDI manual transmissions I've seen has a bolt, they all clipped on. Doesn't mean there isn't another kind, but I haven't run across it yet. The slave from my T19 was identical to the one on the ZF. When I did the conversion I used the T19 slave and it clipped home like it was supposed to.

My T19 was '85, the ZF from a '90 FWIW.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont know what year my F450 zf5 was out of, but one has a catch at the end of the ear. my 97 ZF5 has the same set up.
the slave i posted from e-bay wouldnt fit mine, i had to cut it.

ill post a pic in the morning. when i can get a clear pic

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
heres my ZF ear, notice, the "catches" on it that i was talking about.

the slave i posted is the one i used, it would not slide right on, i had to cut the back of the clip and drill the ear for a bolt.
You must be registered for see images attach

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ok technically, you are correct, the slave is the same, but the metal clip is not....

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

could you do me a favor?
take a pic of both, i could not find the correct part, and would like to see if what you have is any different.

but either slave will work, like i said its the clip thats different.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok technically, you are correct, the slave is the same, but the metal clip is not....
Actually what I have discovered is they are indeed ONE and the SAME SLAVE and one and the SAME CLIP. The ears on the clips have small bent tabs that are moderately fragile, and once they SNAP off there is no more DIG into the aluminum to hold the slave in place. I too had mine pop off at most horrible of times due to this exact nature of the beast...broken ears.

My solution was the same, drill the damn trans and bolt clip in place!

I got really good at slipping my slave back in in less than 10 seconds....as said..happend at bad times...like stop lights with many vehicles behind me.

The slip the slave trick...a nut driver that you press the pushrod back into slave as you slide slave in position then rock the nut driver over to cant the pushrod into place on clutch fork. No issue what so ever!

JM2CW

Later I'll try and get some good pics of the associated clips and tabs and so forth!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the PN I posted had a straight back piece, I guess you gotta bend them for this style of ZF??
it fits the T-19 perfectly.....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I got out to the shop and as you can see I've a bit of collection going on here...

So from MC's to SC's LOL

RED tube is an old one from Gasser with T18 and then two SD ones with rigid steel/flex stainless as well and then a black plastic line as well. They all go down to some slave cylinders as you see and I'll do some closeups of those.

Notice the METAL slave on right...see it has one tab on left and NO tab on right...broken!

Tab with catch

Broken tab..no can catch

close up of correct tab and bracket on the plastic SC

Here is the SC from White Rhino...this is the one that kept slipping off notice those tabs are NON existant

It previously was bolted to trans as seen here drilling the hole....

The hole

Bolted in...

Those Slaves fit T 18/19/ZF and as such those tabs with catches must be there or it will slip off...

In my experience all external slaves use same metal bracket, this may be wrong but it's based on many pulls I've done.

Sadly the only way to get that bracket off is to open a closed system. As you can see I remove the entire system closed so no bleeding needed. This makes swaps easy and also it makes it so I can mark drill trans as needed.

JM2CW

Al

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Several years ago I worked on a 92 F250 7.3IDI with ZF 5spd. I noticed the slave was different than my 89 ZF-5 spd in that the slave was internal. Perhaps this trans originally from a gasser?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several years ago I worked on a 92 F250 7.3IDI with ZF 5spd. I noticed the slave was different than my 89 ZF-5 spd in that the slave was internal. Perhaps this trans originally from a gasser?
Thats a new one, ive not seen an internal slave on an IDI trans or a 460 zf either just the SBF ZF's....

well would love see that.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ Yeah gotta be a transplant if it's an internal (infernal!) slave.

Hmm, I think Rhino (Rhino Pac?) was the brand of the complete pre-bled kit I got from RockAuto for one of our PSDs. IIRC it has the tabs on the clip, and it def hasn't come off in all these years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online